UL Label needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietz001

Just a quick question, a 115 volt cord-n-plug piece of equipment (Incubator) just showed up on my job. Does cord-n-plug equipment need to be Labeled?

raider1

Staff member
There is no generic code section in the NEC that requires cord and plug connected equipment to be listed by an NRTL.

Chris

Nietz001

I spoke to the factory rep, he stated the equipment is CSA tested and CE marked. I'm not sure what CSA and CE stand for but I do know there are other testing groups besides UL.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
"CE" has no meaning outside the European Union (EU) unless there is a local recognition. It has no meaning in US domestic installations.

"CSA" may or may not be a NRTL depending on what Standard was used to certify the product. If it is acting as a NRTL, either "US" or "NRTL," will be appended to the CSA logo.

As Chris mentioned, there is no general NEC requirement for NRTL listing; however, several local jurisdictions, such as the City and County of Los Angeles, require it. FedOSHA generally requires it, unless it is, "... equipment of a kind that no nationally recognized testing laboratory [NRTL] accepts, certifies, lists, labels, or determines to be safe..."[29 CFR 1910.399, definition of acceptable]

kwired

Electron manager
Something that gets forgotten with the people that think everything needs UL listing is the use for which the item is listed for. Just because a toaster is UL listed does not mean it is a coffee maker.

Ok, that may be a little extreme, how about a listed extension cordset that is not listed for outdoor use being used outdoors?

Anyone ever use a PVC hotbox to warm up their lunch?

Nietz001

Thanks Guys, I did check the NRTL website and sure enough the CSA is recognized by both NRTL and OSHA. I just worry too much about getting to the end of a project only to have a unpleasent surprize from an inspector.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.