Need to replace underground wiring conduit for commercial building parking lot....

Status
Not open for further replies.
......what is the best way to do this? the commercial building is a strip center. the service panel is located in the rear of the building. i am considering having all the conduit bored under the building and from pole to pole. i have a total of 6 poles that need to be fixed. the existing underground conduit is metal. we will replace with pvc.

in your experiences, what is the best way to remedy this? boring? cutting and trenching? imo, the best option would be to bore rather than cutting up the asphalt in the front. total length of pipe runs are 275' from the panel to the first pole. from pole to pole i have runs of:

200'
245'
210'
200'
140'

i have never used a boring sub, so i am curious to hear your experiences with this type of remedy. i look forward to any and all feedback and advice.

thanks.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
We once did this under an older highrise building for a new fire pump service. The boring sub required releases from the owner and engineer as there was no way to be sure of things that could be hit under the building. The thinking was it was worth the risk, and luck was with us and all went well. Pretty expensive but was justified in this case.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
......what is the best way to do this? the commercial building is a strip center. the service panel is located in the rear of the building. i am considering having all the conduit bored under the building and from pole to pole. i have a total of 6 poles that need to be fixed. the existing underground conduit is metal. we will replace with pvc.

in your experiences, what is the best way to remedy this? boring? cutting and trenching? imo, the best option would be to bore rather than cutting up the asphalt in the front. total length of pipe runs are 275' from the panel to the first pole. from pole to pole i have runs of:

200'
245'
210'
200'
140'

i have never used a boring sub, so i am curious to hear your experiences with this type of remedy. i look forward to any and all feedback and advice.

thanks.

One of the problems with boring in parking lots is depth of bore. to shallow, and you will have asphalt lift and bigger chance of blowouts, especially if the contractor loves to pump water and bentonite trying to keep the head cold. Deeper than 4 feet and osha excavation rules are much harder. Add that to the problems of boring under or over storm water drain, water and sewer pipes, and other utilities, you can see the need to get a good boring sub. Seems like everyone that can find work on the nationwide fiber optic installation is buying a drill.
I have had contractors drill 800 feet and pull back 3-3" pvc, using less than 500 gals of water. Never had to crank up the vac-tron. Less water means less mess to clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.