Eaton Certified Contractor Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinn77

Hello forum,
Would like some feedback on this matter. Pros, cons, etc. I prefer and use their products, and was figuring this might be beneficial to bottom line. So far it appears that way, but some of these manufacture's pitch's can be full of smoke and mirrors. Opinions?

shmojoe

I can tell you from end-user experience with Eaton UPS and switch-gear products that Eaton is fiercely proprietary and competitive when it comes to service. We have always gone directly through Eaton service, not subcontracted service. When we tried to go outside of Eaton for service on their gear, they would not cooperate with subcontractors in any way. We tried to save the costs by going outside, but eventually we had to go strait back to Eaton with our tails tucked between our legs because the subs simply could not serve our needs without the propriety interfaces, firmware, software, and expedited part replacements. I have not heard of this "network" before, so maybe Eaton is attempting to branch out beyond their in-house service network. If you install and plan to service/warranty Eaton gear, I highly recommend you join their network - no matter the cost. Furthermore, again as an end user, we now require contractor/suppliers have a tangible affiliation with the manufacturer to ensure that the problems listed above are covered. We normally look for manufacturer certification as a minimum, and factory training as the an major "nice to have" differentiator when surveying prospective vendors/contractors.

quinn77

Sounds like a complete waste of time and resources.

Can you elaborate on why you would think so? Do you have experience with Eaton on this matter? With all due respect George, it sounds like your opinion is based on speculation and not experience. I was looking for feedback ( positive and negative) from someone who is or was affiliated. Business is all about risk, and its my experience that some risks, as uncomfortable as some may be; can reap benefits to our bottom line.

ceb58

I can tell you from end-user experience with Eaton UPS and switch-gear products that Eaton is fiercely proprietary and competitive when it comes to service. We have always gone directly through Eaton service, not subcontracted service. When we tried to go outside of Eaton for service on their gear, they would not cooperate with subcontractors in any way. We tried to save the costs by going outside, but eventually we had to go strait back to Eaton with our tails tucked between our legs because the subs simply could not serve our needs without the propriety interfaces, firmware, software, and expedited part replacements. I have not heard of this "network" before, so maybe Eaton is attempting to branch out beyond their in-house service network. If you install and plan to service/warranty Eaton gear, I highly recommend you join their network - no matter the cost. Furthermore, again as an end user, we now require contractor/suppliers have a tangible affiliation with the manufacturer to ensure that the problems listed above are covered. We normally look for manufacturer certification as a minimum, and factory training as the an major "nice to have" differentiator when surveying prospective vendors/contractors.

I have had good luck with Eaton Tech. support when I would call in for trouble shooting on the 9170+ UPSs. They do have a sub-contractor who is factory trained that comes out after we get the communication building set and dose the start up on the units. He also is their repair person for our area also.
If you can afford the training then go for it. There is always a market for UPSs.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You're right, my response was based on their web page. That was my reaction to what they claim to offer for $1000.

Edit to add: Schmoe and CEB haven't looked at the link you provided - they're not training contractors to replace their techs, they are pitching a lukewarm ESI model that they don't appear to have fully fleshed out yet.

Last edited:

quinn77

You're right, my response was based on their web page. That was my reaction to what they claim to offer for $1000.

Edit to add: Schmoe and CEB haven't looked at the link you provided - they're not training contractors to replace their techs, they are pitching a lukewarm ESI model that they don't appear to have fully fleshed out yet.

I am fully aware of what it is, how much it costs, blah, blah, blah.
THE POINT OF MY POST IS...DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS NETWORK. GOOD OR BAD, I DON'T CARE. I DON'T NEED IGNORANT COMMENTS BASED ON SOMEONE'S PERCEPTION OF WHAT IT MIGHT BE. GEORGE, do you have an MBA? You talk like you have 20 yrs experience researching, analyzing, building, and operating successful businesses, or are you just speculating? PLEASE, IF ANYONE HAS ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS NETWORK, JUST PM ME PLEASE!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, you asked if I had personal experience with that, and the answer is no.

It would be better for the conversation to carry on in public; to that end, I will respectfully bow out of it.

quinn77

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, you asked if I had personal experience with that, and the answer is no.

It would be better for the conversation to carry on in public; to that end, I will respectfully bow out of it.
No prob George, no feathers ruffled here. I just capitalized that to emphasise my OP's intention. Id like to hear from someone who has ventured into something like this. I'm like you, I'm very hesitant to spend money if the chances are slim that I won't see a profitable return. Training in my parts is watered down, so if I see something like this with training and growth opportunity, my ears perk up just a little. I've been looking into the LV market for residential, and I came across this network. What training do you suggest? I currently only carry a masters license, but am looking to get certified in things such as fire alarm, home automation, etc...and this area has no such training facilities.

brian john

I have worked for and with Eaton with mixed results Some good, some not so good. Just finished some switchgear repairs for Eaton last week.

quinn77

I have worked for and with Eaton with mixed results Some good, some not so good. Just finished some switchgear repairs for Eaton last week.

Brian, I have been a tech for Eaton, but this is different. This is for residential and commercial contractors. They market training, certification, etc...etc...for their products. It appears to be smoke and mirrors, but I have heard some positive feedback from others that it helped increase their bottom line. I'm planning to expand, and was researching online and found this. See for yourself.
WWW.eatoncertified.com

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
No prob George, no feathers ruffled here. I just capitalized that to emphasise my OP's intention. Id like to hear from someone who has ventured into something like this. I'm like you, I'm very hesitant to spend money if the chances are slim that I won't see a profitable return. Training in my parts is watered down, so if I see something like this with training and growth opportunity, my ears perk up just a little. I've been looking into the LV market for residential, and I came across this network. What training do you suggest? I currently only carry a masters license, but am looking to get certified in things such as fire alarm, home automation, etc...and this area has no such training facilities.

"someone who has ventured into something like this."

that might be me.

i have a couple different "certs".

i pulled a LEED AP a while ago.
just recently, i got a CALCTP cert.. that's a californicate thing.

i did look at the website. i would not drop $1k on it.

what i would do, is something almost free.

http://www.barebonesbiz.com/

most of the people she works with are plumbing contractors.
doesn't matter. the business model she suggests works.

if you've been a sparky a while, you probably have a ton of
sparky experience, and not as much business owner experience,
like many of us on here.

what's your selling price per hour? if you are flat rating, and it's
less than $135 per billable hour, you will starve.

there is a member on here, who does a flat rate bidding service,
that you might very well want to take a look at.... he's putting
a ipad app out to access it... i'm waiting on it to hit the app store,
then i'm gonna give it a spin.

if i was gonna drop $1k, i'd do jim's bidding service, ellen's coaching
service, and still have money left over......

from ellen's web site:

"I started Bare Bones Biz- a venture capital and consulting company -
in 1995, to help folks of all ages turn their big ideas into successful
businesses. I’m a columnist for PHC News, Business Journals, and
lots of trade magazines– providing "in the trenches" insight that
business owners can relate to.
As president of Benjamin Franklin, The Punctual Plumber,
a home service company, I helped the company grow from zero
to $40 million in franchise sales, 47 locations, in less than 2 years."

that might be someone you'd do well to talk to.

you asked for feedback.... be careful what you ask for.

note: she gives a 1/2 hour free consultation, but make sure you have
done your paperwork before you ask for it. she is fast, thorough, and
brutally honest.

expect your ego to get some thumps. she's of the "we don't get paid
for pretty, we get paid for done" discipline.

Last edited:
really not worth it

really not worth it

a group of friends (all contractors on their own) and i pulled our resources together and joined this network, went to the "training" and so on........i can see no tangible (read $$$) benefit to this program as it has led to no new work. no new work and very little else to offer.

it is not like our customers have a panel to replace, do their own research, decide on Eaton Cutler Hammer and then contact Eaton to find an installer. most customers don't even know what their problem is or how to fix it. "i need a 200 volt panel instead of my old 100 volt fuse box".............

that would be like a customer going to your supply house, picking up a coil of wire and asking if they got anybody that install it for them.

it is a real shame too, i am really impressed with their equipment and it is all i will install. seems that the way our trade works is not that conducive to the manufacturer/contractor relationship as you might see in tile or kitchen cabinets.

J_M

Eaton Certified Contractor Network - I am here to assist you

Eaton Certified Contractor Network - I am here to assist you

Hello "drewserviceco" - I am the ECCN Program Coordinator here at Eaton and I would like to address your concerns about the program and see what I can do to help you find value in it. I could not find a company by your name (Drew Service Company) in our database of members - perhaps you are listed differently? Please call me at 412 893 3651 EST or email me at certifiedcontractor@eaton.com and include your contact information so I can reach you. I look forward to hearing from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.