Are you SURE your transformer is bonded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Christopherson

I've brought this topic up a few times in the past, but I just wanted to reiterate how an unbonded transformer can result in a floating system, whose secondary voltages are limited only by the voltage of the primary. This was made painfully obvious tonight after an emergency troubleshooting call tonight.

Going back to the beginning, 5 to 7 years ago, I got called out to the church my father belongs to, to diagnose why stage performers were complaining of getting shocked while on stage. The simple Edison tester would light up all three lights, which didn't make much sense. A quick check of voltages on the stage outlets showed 80 volts neutral-to-ground. Aside from that, everything was checking out fine. I had 120/240 at the lugs, and I had continuous ground with the rest of the building.

After a little digging, I learned that the stage was fed with a small isolation transformer to supply clean 120/240 from a 3-phase system. That's when everything clicked, and I realized it was an unbonded separately derived system. I spoke with the State Inspector the next day and he remembered the original inspection in 2000, but both he and the EC didn't realize it constituted a separately derived system. So I chalked it up to a simple oversight and didn't give it much more thought.

Tonight I got called back out to the same church to troubleshoot a voltage anomaly in another part of the church (the main office space) that's completely separate from the stage. In this case, some maintenance was being done up in the ceiling. The circuit was de-energized, but when the conductor bundle was pulled out of a piece of equipment, sparks flew. This was a little disturbing because the circuit was confirmed dead. While I was on the phone, I had them check the voltages in the load center located in the office space. Everything checked out, except ground-to-neutral was 120 volts, and ground-to-Phase-B was 240 volts.

Forgetting what was discovered 7 years ago, I originally assumed a floating ground. I remembered the unbonded transformer from 7 years ago, but I knew this was a completely separate system supplying the offices, so another unbonded transformer was not high on my list of suspicions. This was also the main part of the original building, and spanned 75% of the original building. It took a while to determine that the office load center was being supplied from a 150A disconnect that was labeled "kitchen", which was fed from a 37kVA 480:240/120 transformer.

After getting permission to cut power to that whole wing, I opened the disconnect below the transformer, and once again, discovered an unbonded transformer. Except this is a main transformer that feeds most of the original building outside of the 480/277 and 208/120 loads.

This condition has existed for 12 years, and it is amazing that no one has been hurt. It's also amazing that no one had discovered it before now either. Finding this on the small stage transformer seemed like a simple oversight. Finding this on the main transformer feeding most of the building is a little more disconcerting. It has me wondering whether any of the transformers in the building are bonded, and due to expansions over the years, there are quite a few of them. They were all installed by the same EC. I'm expecting a call from the EC in the morning, and I am going to request that they inspect all of the transformers in all of the additions that have been made over the years.

In light of finding this on a main transformer, I am wondering if the EC didn't mistakenly assume that all transformers are internally bonded. Is this a common assumption with commercial EC's?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In light of finding this on a main transformer, I am wondering if the EC didn't mistakenly assume that all transformers are internally bonded. Is this a common assumption with commercial EC's?

I have heard this so many times I'm wondering where this urban legend actually started. In over 25 years I've never seen an internally bonded XO from the factory. I've heard electricians (incorrectly) state that the bonding strap that connects the frame to the core bonds the XO. Here's a photo of the strap that obviously does not bond the XO to anything.

75%2520KVA%2520Transformer%2520Bonding%2520Strap.jpg

iwire

Staff member
I do want to point out that the bonding does not have to be done at the transformer, it can be done at the first disconnecting means so it pays to check at bot spots if in doubt. However In Rick's example with those voltage readings it is safe to say it was not bonded at any location.

In over 25 years I've never seen an internally bonded XO from the factory. I've heard electricians (incorrectly) state that the bonding strap that connects the frame to the core bonds the XO.

I agree 100% and have heard the same things on job from people I would have thought would know better.

iwire

Staff member
After getting permission to cut power to that whole wing, I opened the disconnect below the transformer, and once again, discovered an unbonded transformer. Except this is a main transformer that feeds most of the original building outside of the 480/277 and 208/120 loads.

Just wondering had the EC even run a grounding electrode to this transformer? If so was how was it connected?

kwired

Electron manager
You probably do not see more problems than you do because it is simply an ungrounded system until something becomes grounded. Chances are after you properly ground that system you will find out you have ground fault problems with something else.

kwired

Electron manager
Not quite seeing how the ground to neutral turned out @ 120v. I'll have to get my pencil out after a bit and read the op again.:dunce:

If secondary is not grounded to XO the entire secondary is floating, in reference to ground.

Now several years later you develop a ground fault in a piece of equipment on phase A. Since the entire secondary is floating there is no fault current, you have simply created a ground reference on phase A.

System voltages in this case (assuming the ground fault has relatively low impedance) would be:

A to B to C would all be 208

A , B and C to N would all be 120 each

A to G would be 0 (A has been grounded)

B and C to G would be 208 each (G has been bonded to A)

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can anyone offer an opinion on a good book that explains transformers in detail? Specifically one that would have illustrations and pictures. Something like the Soared book on grounding.

Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
Can anyone offer an opinion on a good book that explains transformers in detail? Specifically one that would have illustrations and pictures. Something like the Soared book on grounding.

Thanks.

What kind of details are you looking for?

There is information in basic electricity concepts books that give enough details for most of what people want to know.

Then there are special situations where the basics are still there but certain things are done to make the thing more suitable for certain situations like improvements for energy efficiency purposes, ways to make them quieter, or increase allowable operating temperature, ability to handle higher harrmonics, etc. Most of this is more involved for manufacturing and not all that important how it is done to the end user. Installation is still typically the same.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

There is information in basic electricity concepts books that give enough details for most of what people want to know.

Then there are special situations where the basics are still there but certain things are done to make the thing more suitable for certain situations like improvements for energy efficiency purposes, ways to make them quieter, or increase allowable operating temperature, ability to handle higher harrmonics, etc. Most of this is more involved for manufacturing and not all that important how it is done to the end user. Installation is still typically the same.

I am pretty sure that out of the dozens of books I got during my apprenticeship, one was about transformers and was illustrated. If I stumble across it, I will post the name.

IIRC, it was mostly about design and mfg. But I think it also covered saturation and bonding and other stuff.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I was just thinking that this topic of bonding transformers comes up time and time again, which tells me that there is a fundamental misunderstanding as to how they work. Having a book (with illustrations and pictures) would be a helpful tool for everyone in this field to refer to. I know that I'm a visual person, and I find it easier to learn when I see a diagram. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I really appreciate all of the help that many people provide on this forum.

Thanks.

Andrew

Rick Christopherson

I believe if you had heavy loads on A and B, and little load on C the voltage from C to Ground would approach 120.
Admittedly, it is a little odd that the system went to 120 volts. The current flowing through the A-phase magnetically couples to the ground. However, since there is an opposite current flow in the neutral, the result is typically somewhere in between. That's why 7 years ago I had 80 volts G-N.

It could be that one of the loads on the system has a connection from A to ground. It doesn't have to be a short circuit, though. It could be a high impedance connection. As long as there is no current flow, it would pull the A-phase to ground voltage.

By the way, this was a single phase transformer.

Here's something interesting. I haven't confirmed this myself, but allegedly, the G-N voltage is back to zero this morning. I don't know what has changed with the loads from last night to today. Possibly just that some lights are not on during the day. I haven't heard from the EC yet. The church called the owner last night, and he could be on vacation. Nevertheless, due care should be taken before blindly applying the bond. I'll have someone checking outlets periodically with an Edison tester, and if/when they get a red light, I'll go back there and see if I can isolate the source.

kwired

Electron manager
I was just thinking that this topic of bonding transformers comes up time and time again, which tells me that there is a fundamental misunderstanding as to how they work. Having a book (with illustrations and pictures) would be a helpful tool for everyone in this field to refer to. I know that I'm a visual person, and I find it easier to learn when I see a diagram. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I really appreciate all of the help that many people provide on this forum.

Thanks.

Andrew

A book on grounding and bonding would be more useful for what you are asking. The transformer is nothing more than a voltage source when it comes to this topic.

People let terms like single phase, three phase, grounded phase cloud their minds. Grounding rules are the same for all of these systems. Once it is established what conductor is to be grounded you must separate grounded and equipment grounding conductors beyond the source or first disconnecting means. That is the basics for pretty much all grounded AC systems. Sizing conductors and jumpers is another issue. But where/how to connect one item to another is the same on all.

kwired

Electron manager
Admittedly, it is a little odd that the system went to 120 volts. The current flowing through the A-phase magnetically couples to the ground. However, since there is an opposite current flow in the neutral, the result is typically somewhere in between. That's why 7 years ago I had 80 volts G-N.

It could be that one of the loads on the system has a connection from A to ground. It doesn't have to be a short circuit, though. It could be a high impedance connection. As long as there is no current flow, it would pull the A-phase to ground voltage.

By the way, this was a single phase transformer.

Here's something interesting. I haven't confirmed this myself, but allegedly, the G-N voltage is back to zero this morning. I don't know what has changed with the loads from last night to today. Possibly just that some lights are not on during the day. I haven't heard from the EC yet. The church called the owner last night, and he could be on vacation. Nevertheless, due care should be taken before blindly applying the bond. I'll have someone checking outlets periodically with an Edison tester, and if/when they get a red light, I'll go back there and see if I can isolate the source.

If there is no SBJ then you should have no continuity from any circuit conductor to ground. If you do there is something wrong someplace, and if there were a SBJ, instead of strange voltages showing up there likely would have been overcurrent devices opening. Making the fault location a little more obvious.

If the neutral is inadvertantly bonded someplace, you would likley have voltage readings that would not raise any concern, and you may never know there is a problem until some connection develops a high impedance someplace.

sandsnow

FWIW, many years ago GE made their standard dry type with a factory bonded XO. The strap looked much like the strap which bonds the core on the previous pic in this thread.

I have seen some medium voltage substations with factory bonding on the XO/neutral and also most all UPS which contain a XFMR have factory bonded XO/neutrals.

Eaton and RSE both make a low voltage substation (480-208) which contain factory bonded XO/neutrals.

I've run across quite a few unbonded XO termianls over the years and it is sad how many WTF are you talking about looks I get when I tell them XO needs to be bonded.

GearMan

I do want to point out that the bonding does not have to be done at the transformer, it can be done at the first disconnecting means so it pays to check at bot spots if in doubt. However In Rick's example with those voltage readings it is safe to say it was not bonded at any location.

I agree 100% and have heard the same things on job from people I would have thought would know better.

In the early 80's Mfg's did bond X0 to the frame. Once back feeding a standard Delta x Wye xfmr was acceptable, heating issues became common even though the operation and maintenance manuals clearly stated the removal of the X0 bonding strap was required for back feeding. Current X0 factory bonding has been discontinued due to these issues.

kwired

Electron manager
In the early 80's Mfg's did bond X0 to the frame. Once back feeding a standard Delta x Wye xfmr was acceptable, heating issues became common even though the operation and maintenance manuals clearly stated the removal of the X0 bonding strap was required for back feeding. Current X0 factory bonding has been discontinued due to these issues.

That is the installers fault. There are threads in this forum from time to time with the same issue. The installer hooked a neutral conductor to the XO terminal in every one of the instances. Some deeper knowledge of electrical theory is what is needed from the installer in these cases, just like they need to know when and why to install a bonding jumper.

GearMan

That is the installers fault. There are threads in this forum from time to time with the same issue. The installer hooked a neutral conductor to the XO terminal in every one of the instances. Some deeper knowledge of electrical theory is what is needed from the installer in these cases, just like they need to know when and why to install a bonding jumper.

Absolutely the installers fault. Unfortunately, several threats of legal action and uneducated installers continued. Some Mfg's were going to put a warning lable on X0, but decided just to eliminate the bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.