Wye Transformer X0

Status
Not open for further replies.
But here's the issue.... slashed zeros are a long standing norm in other fields, and that's no zero. To me, that's a phase...

When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail....:lol:

Slash across an oval character are used by many other fields, not just electrical, but never have I seen being used by chemist, social scientists, etc. who also use the term 'phase'.

templdl

In my 30 years of so working with this stuff I never though of this not has it ever been a problem in understanding this configuration.
I never noticed if it had been written as X0 or XO but I would conclude that it should be X0 when related to X1, 2, and 3. I have never referred to it as other than X "oh" in any verbal reference and if I heard it referred to as X "zero" I would have though it to somewhat weird.
I found this topic to be a bit strange at best when a 3ph4w 208Y/120 is referred quite often as 120/240 and a 480Y/277 as 277/480 which I think is more of a misstatement. And then there is the difference of 240/120 and 120/240 1ph3w and a 240/120 3ph4W.
A 480-120/240 1ph transformer could be built with a single winding 240v secondary with a center tap with X1, X2 and X0 connections or with a (2) 120v winding secondary windings with X1,X2, X3, and X4 terminations where X2 and X3 are commonly connected together for a neutral point of a 1ph3w 120/240 system. That winding configuration provides the option of paralleling the secondary for 1ph 2w providing for double the current at 120v. You don't know who often I get calls form someone looking fo the X0 where there are X1, X2, X3, And X4 connections.
It is extremely important to correctly define voltages as very expensive mistakes can be made when specifying a transformer and the manufacturer building the transformer correctly according to a misstated voltage rating as well as specifying the corrent panel rating.
Incorrectly applied devices are often applied on a 480v 3ph3w system by using 277/480v rated devices where a fully rated 480 device or where a 120/240v rated device where a 240v rated device should have been used.
But X0 of XO???? It is a mute point to me when it is quite common to misstate voltage ratings. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.