Maximum receptacles other than dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What is the maximum number of receptacles (other than dwelling unit) that can be installed on a 15 and 20 ampere 120 volt circuit?

A) 9, 12

B) 8, 14

C) 10, 13

D) Unlimited

Figure how many VA each a 15 & 20A circuit has. You're allowed 180VA per receptacle strap in non dwelling units. Do the math from there.

topgone

Please check your 15/20A breakers if they are 100% rated. Else, you have to limit your breaker load to 80% of its rating. Then do the math using 180VA per receptacle.

topgone

I failed to see that you're given 4 choices there. I guess choice "C" fits the calcs: 15X120/180 =10; 20X120/180 =13.33 - 10 to 13 receptacles!

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Art. 220.14.J

Art. 220.14.J

The image is kind of big. I left it that way so you can read it.

The answer is C) 10, 13

22014J.jpg

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Don't get Charlie started on this.
Yea, he?s incorrigible!

I will say, for the record, that despite my belief that the ?actual, as-per-a-literal-interpretation-of-the-code correct answer? is ?D,? I recognize that while taking a test it is always in your best interests to give the same answer that the author of the test question believes to be the correct one. In this case, you are more likely to pass the test if you give the answer as ?C.?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yea, he’s incorrigible!

I will say, for the record, that despite my belief that the “actual, as-per-a-literal-interpretation-of-the-code correct answer” is “D,” I recognize that while taking a test it is always in your best interests to give the same answer that the author of the test question believes to be the correct one. In this case, you are more likely to pass the test if you give the answer as “C.”

I agree, Charlies opinion aside, the question writer was most likely looking for numbers 10, 13. The author's of the NECH, Mike Holt, many members of this forum, et al. would agree with that answer. ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yea, he?s incorrigible!

I will say, for the record, that despite my belief that the ?actual, as-per-a-literal-interpretation-of-the-code correct answer? is ?D,? I recognize that while taking a test it is always in your best interests to give the same answer that the author of the test question believes to be the correct one. In this case, you are more likely to pass the test if you give the answer as ?C.?

The problem I have with this thinking is that everything in 220 should be the same concept. So if I wire a 12kw range why can I use 40 amp circuit. The table says I can assume 8kw but you would say that I can't use 8kw.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The problem I have with this thinking is that everything in 220 should be the same concept. So if I wire a 12kw range why can I use 40 amp circuit. The table says I can assume 8kw but you would say that I can't use 8kw.

I only question why we've been debating this for many years and that no one has written a proposal that would get the CMP to clarify one position over the other. :?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I only question why we've been debating this for many years and that no one has written a proposal that would get the CMP to clarify one position over the other. :?

It's all Charlie's fault-- :happyyes: :D I wonder if he ever wrote a proposal. Not sure how or where one would do that.-- Maybe in the scope section of 220.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I failed to see that you're given 4 choices there. I guess choice "C" fits the calcs: 15X120/180 =10; 20X120/180 =13.33 - 10 to 13 receptacles!

You don't have to limit your breaker to 80% that aside, I vote C.

The image is kind of big. I left it that way so you can read it.

The answer is C) 10, 13

22014J.jpg

I agree, Charlies opinion aside, the question writer was most likely looking for numbers 10, 13. The author's of the NECH, Mike Holt, many members of this forum, et al. would agree with that answer. ;)

I could have just said "C" but I've been told not to give answers, but how to get the answer. You all are in "time out" for not playing by the rules!:angel::p

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Per examination perspective, nominal voltage rating is to be used.But in real life applications, equipment utilization voltage per ANSI may be used,which may reduce the number of receptacles/increase the size of branch circuit conductors.

iwire

Staff member
Per examination perspective, nominal voltage rating is to be used.But in real life applications, equipment utilization voltage per ANSI may be used,which may reduce the number of receptacles/increase the size of branch circuit conductors.

If you are working under the NEC you will use nominal voltage ratings.

220.5 Calculations.
(A) Voltages.
Unless other voltages are specified, for purposes
of calculating branch-circuit and feeder loads, nominal
system voltages of 120, 120/240, 208Y/120, 240, 347,
480Y/277, 480, 600Y/347, and 600 volts shall be used

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

If you are working under the NEC you will use nominal voltage ratings.
By using ANSI recommended utilization equipment voltages,one does not contradict NEC requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.