Scary stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
On an email list I am on for control engineers, we get some pretty basic questions now and then.

Lately we seem to be getting a lot of newby type questions, with scary implications.

The latest is a guy who obviously is ESL, and wants advice on designing the hookup for an ATS to a 500 KVA generator for a military facility. He started out asking about whether you could even hook up an ATS to a mobile genset, and then casually mentioned grounding.

He is not even sure what frequency is being used and wants to know if it is Ok to hook up a 50 Hz genset to a system that usually has 60 Hz power on it.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
ESL has nothing to do with being unqualified.

This issue is that controls and power systems are different things.

Power Systems 101.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ESL has nothing to do with being unqualified.

This issue is that controls and power systems are different things.

part of my last reply to him was this:

I do not think advice from random strangers on an Internet forum that is only remotely connected with the issues at hand is the best way to get advice either.

I don't much care about the ESL stuff, but the ESL coupled with the lack of clue and US military installation makes me nervous.

I don't much care about the ESL stuff, but the ESL coupled with the lack of clue and US military installation makes me nervous.

Right, our military deserves better. These type stories always makes me wonder: on one hand they are specifying $800 perfect hammers that will be 'functional' under the most adverse conditions, but let things like these slip. Oh, I forgot, it's a Government 'Company'.:rant: doesn't have to make sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.