splicing in coduit bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

123ozzie

Good morning, I know that per 314.16(c)(2) splicing is allowed in conduit bodies, just need to clear up how many are allowed. I have an Appleton LB that, including the cover, is good for 8.8 cubic in. (Appleton website). I have a hot #12, neutral #12, and a ground #12 spliced in the LB. According to table 314.16(B) each #12 is calculated as 2.25 cubic in. Am I right in thinking that I have 2.25x6=13.5 cubic in. of wire splicing in the LB? If so I would be over by 13.5-8.8=4.7 cubic in. Do "current carrying conductors" come into play? Thanks in advance for any response.

maghazadeh

Good morning, I know that per 314.16(c)(2) splicing is allowed in conduit bodies, just need to clear up how many are allowed. I have an Appleton LB that, including the cover, is good for 8.8 cubic in. (Appleton website). I have a hot #12, neutral #12, and a ground #12 spliced in the LB. According to table 314.16(B) each #12 is calculated as 2.25 cubic in. Am I right in thinking that I have 2.25x6=13.5 cubic in. of wire splicing in the LB? If so I would be over by 13.5-8.8=4.7 cubic in. Do "current carrying conductors" come into play? Thanks in advance for any response.

Okey, so,
2 hots...............2 x 2.25 = 4.50
2-neutrals.........2 x 2.25 = 4.50
2-grds..............1 x 2.25 = 2.25
Total................................11.25 Cubic Inch
Yes you are over the limit.

123ozzie

Okey, so,
2 hots...............2 x 2.25 = 4.50
2-neutrals.........2 x 2.25 = 4.50
2-grds..............1 x 2.25 = 2.25
Total................................11.25 Cubic Inch
Yes you are over the limit.

Actually, I can't even splice one wire. Two wires pulled through, 2.25 each, and one splice 2.25x2 totals 9 cubic inches. Doesn't seem right does it. Two 12's pulled through and one 12 spliced in a 3/4 fitting.

Last edited:

jumper

Actually, I can't even splice one wire. Two wires pulled through, 2.25 each, and one splice 2.25x2 totals 9 cubic inches. Doesn't seem right does it. Two 12's pulled through and one 12 spliced in a 3/4 fitting.

How long are these wires?

(1) Conductor Fill. Each conductor that originates outside
the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be
counted once, and each conductor that passes through the
box without splice or termination shall be counted once
Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice
the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14
shall be counted twice. The conductor fill shall be calculated
using Table 314.16(B). A conductor, no part of which
leaves the box, shall not be counted

123ozzie

How long are these wires?

(1) Conductor Fill. Each conductor that originates outside
the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be
counted once, and each conductor that passes through the
box without splice or termination shall be counted once
Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice
the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14
shall be counted twice. The conductor fill shall be calculated
using Table 314.16(B). A conductor, no part of which
leaves the box, shall not be counted

There are three wires entering the LB, spliced on to three wires leaving the LB. My hypothetical situation was if you had two #12's pulled tight through and one #12 spliced, you would be in violation: 2.25 x 4 = 9. Look at a 3/4 mallable LB and tell me if you think there wouldn't be enough room for one yellow wirenut and two more wires pulled tight. I'm not argueing the code, I'm just saying sometimes it doesn't make perfect sense. Ever try and pull 16 #12 THHN through a 3/4 EMT? Doesn't seem right but is legal according to table C1.

Status
Not open for further replies.