Inspection of Extension Cords used at industrial site

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc3l

Section 590.6(B) Does this also apply to cord sets (extension cords) that would be used by maintenance personnel or operations at our facility eventhough it is not "Temporary"? We had a procedure established based on what used to be NFPA 70 Sect. 305.6(B) which appears to be the same as 590.6 now. However, based on NFPA 70E 110.9 nothing references back to 590.6 so changes were made to our procedure based on 70E alone. Our procedure used to require quarterly inspection of cord sets and these were color coded after inspection by electricians. The problem was we couldn't get people to bring them to electric shop for inspection - that is why we changed procedure to what NFPA 70E 110.9 states.

My question is, "do we need to go by 590.6 (B) (1) and/or (2)?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While I might tend to agree with Dennis, if you have a program in place there is no reason that you couldn't use 590.6(B)(2) at least as a guideline.

It's also a good one to use on argumentitive supers that don't want to install GFCI outlets when they are working in existing buildings.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Section 590.6 (B) applies only to receptacles other than 125- volt, single-phase, 15-, 20-, and 30-amperes; but, where it applies, either 590.6 (B) (1) or (2) or both may be used.

For industrial establishments, an Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program (AEGCP) may also be used as an alternative under 590.6(A) Ex.

haskindm

The NEC is fine with extension cords made from listed materials, however my understanding ist that OSHA is not. So the NEc tells me that I can make an extension cord, but OSHA tells me I cannot use it. Just as it is fine for me to put a receptacle above a drop ceiling, but I cannot plug a flexible cord into it.........

iwire

Staff member
I don't believe the NEC covers extension cords but OSHA might have a lot to say about them.

Agreed, I believe Bob will argue differently on the NEC aspect....we do not agree on this subject.....

This generator is entirely connected with extension cords so I guess I can tell the inspector he has no say in its installation.:happyno:

f127040d.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think that is what the OP was asking. He is talking about his extension cord for the workers tools, I believe.

iwire

Staff member
I don't think that is what the OP was asking. He is talking about his extension cord for the workers tools, I believe.

I understand that.

Where is the distinction in the NEC?

Is it based on amperage, complexity or how often we encounter them?:)

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I understand that.

Where is the distinction in the NEC?

Is it based on amperage, complexity or how often we encounter them?:)
I don't have the answer to that. I just don't think of an extension cord as temporary power per art. 590. I may be wrong....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I also see 590.4(C) as excluding a drop cord since it is not a branch circuit or feeder. I also see 590.3 as excluding a drop cord used for a power tool.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
They may know it intends, but I don’t believe anyone, myself and CMP3 included, knows what 590.6 actually says. Its current status is the result of a series of unintended consequences initiated during the 1999 or 2001cycles. (I can’t remember, I don’t have my reference materials with me)

Originally, FedOSHA approved AEGCP exclusively for Construction (i.e.; 29 CFR 1926) and not General Industry (29 CFR 1910). Two independent sets of NEC Proposals/Comments, one to eliminate AEGCP entirely and one to extend its benefits to “industrial”users, were both “Accepted.” Since then, it has become mincemeat with new text.

I know what it is supposed to mean, but I couldn’t prove it any longer.

pfalcon

Section 590.6(B) Does this also apply to cord sets (extension cords) that would be used by maintenance personnel or operations at our facility eventhough it is not "Temporary"? We had a procedure established based on what used to be NFPA 70 Sect. 305.6(B) which appears to be the same as 590.6 now. However, based on NFPA 70E 110.9 nothing references back to 590.6 so changes were made to our procedure based on 70E alone. Our procedure used to require quarterly inspection of cord sets and these were color coded after inspection by electricians. The problem was we couldn't get people to bring them to electric shop for inspection - that is why we changed procedure to what NFPA 70E 110.9 states.

My question is, "do we need to go by 590.6 (B) (1) and/or (2)?

Just as important, the 2011 requires GFCI protection in 210.8(B)(8) for garages, service bays, and similar areas. At least in our shop we have overhead garage doors, trucks traveling from outside to inside dragging rain and snow. Frankly it's pretty easy to say our shop floor is similar to a garage or service bay. Others have argued otherwise with me but can't give an example of something that fits the article better without actually being a garage or service bay.

Second, 210.8(B)(6) requires them for wet locations. Most of our shop is prone to unplanned exposure to liquids called coolant. We've categorized our shop as damp protected from the weather. But machines such as washers are classed as wet due to the frequency of leaks. In-house classes but we enforce them.

jc3l

I did look at OSHA 29 CFR 1926.404 9(B). As noted in 2011 NEC the OSHA requirements are very similar. Still some grey but it sounds like we need either an established program or to supply GFCI extension cords for maintenance and/or operations. Agree or Disagree?

WorkSafe

Status
Not open for further replies.