Neutral bar wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

I have run into a situation where I have run out of places to land neutral wires on a neutral bar. Can I install two neutral wires under one screw? The panel is a generaor sub-panel so there is no ground bus. Thanks to all who reply.

maghazadeh

I have run into a situation where I have run out of places to land neutral wires on a neutral bar. Can I install two neutral wires under one screw? The panel is a generaor sub-panel so there is no ground bus. Thanks to all who reply.

If the neutral bar rated for double wire connection then you can, or you can install a grounding bar and move all of the equipment grouding conductors (egc) to this new grounding bar to make room in the neutral bar,

hurk27

If the neutral bar rated for double wire connection then you can, or you can install a grounding bar and move all of the equipment grouding conductors (egc) to this new grounding bar to make room in the neutral bar,

This is incorrect, as posted in post #2 408.41 prohibits more then one neutral conductor under a screw, there is no listed neutral terminal for more then one wire for branch circuits.

Second, if this is a generator "sub" panel there should not be any EGC's on the neutral bar to start with, you can not have a rebonded neutral after the main disconnect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is true for many lugs but it is not true for the neutral bar.

RESI

Neutral bar wires

Mike Whitt, post #3- All of the ground wires stay in the main panel. The only ground connection in the sub panel is the one from the main panel to the sub panel box and onto the generator.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mike Whitt, post #3- All of the ground wires stay in the main panel. The only ground connection in the sub panel is the one from the main panel to the sub panel box and onto the generator.
I think wanted to make sure you had the panel grounded, which you do but not with a ground bus jus a lug or something similar. You could add another neutral bar- they make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.