Hammer drills

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Hilti te5 is what I have and a 24v dewalt and HF roto for home. Hilti will last for ever and drills all day (corded).Hilti is light.
At the shop we have, BD screemers(not good), 18v dewalts(ok), bosch bull dog(good not Hilti) a TE72 for big holes heavy, core bore after that hand held orange German one.
Check pawn shops, craigs list, guy going out in your area.
Buy the best tools you can the first time!

I have been using my Hilti TE5 for 18yrs and have had no issues whatsoever. IMO Hilti is probably the best brand on the market.:thumbsup:

MJW

I had a friend who repaired tools for a living and he always told me Hilti was an overpriced piece of junk. After hearing that it took a long time and a lot of persuading before I bought one. Once I did I never looked back. They are the best performing, longest lasting tools I have owned. I have a TE-5 that is about 15 years old that works like the day I bought it.

kwired

Electron manager
I had a friend who repaired tools for a living and he always told me Hilti was an overpriced piece of junk. After hearing that it took a long time and a lot of persuading before I bought one. Once I did I never looked back. They are the best performing, longest lasting tools I have owned. I have a TE-5 that is about 15 years old that works like the day I bought it.

How is your friend going to make a living repairing something that does not break down very often?

It is in his best interest to suggest something that is always in need of repair:D

MJW

How is your friend going to make a living repairing something that does not break down very often?

It is in his best interest to suggest something that is always in need of repair:D

He went on to open a motorcycle repair shop so maybe Hilti put him out of business.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

20+ years ago when I was working facilities, we bought a Hilti, because 1/2 the building was concrete and we were always laying wiremold on the floors or bolting down pallat racks and other things. Only once did it ever fail us. The slab was around 12 inches thick and we had to set some ground bars for ESD matting. We must have got right next to a piece of rebar, because the bit jammed and it wasn't ever moving again, we actually ended up having to cut it off and it wasn't a cheap bit. Other than that one time I can't even tell you how many holes we drilled with that tool and when I left seven years later it was still going strong.

svh19044

If you decided corded vs cordless, you can give thought to a couple more options. I just ordered the M18 SDS drill which isn't really "cheap", and I won't know how it performs until it gets here (limited reviews). If you are looking to get a couple new tools, you could get a 4/5 pc milwaukee kit and get the SDS as the tool only for $280.

BUT, while ordering that, if you want corded, there is also a very fair priced Milwaukee SDS, model 5263-21. It unfortunately has no hammer only option, which being your only "hammer" drill, this might rule it out. Or just get the CPO 5363-81, which has the hammer function for $250.

I'm sure this will be at your budget, but I wonder if anyone else has play with it. While at the supply house, GREENLEE also just released their cordless SDS. It's a 14v, and while it's still pretty big in overall size, it's relatively light weight. I'd like to see how that holds up over time.

Last edited:

TobyD

Cored drill try a DWD 520 dewalt.I have two of them they work well for all applications for residental work.They are 2 speed and high amp. drills.The first one I bought has drilled thousands of holes and many 2''9/16 holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.