Status
Not open for further replies.

nathansf

I works as the chief engineer for a small boutique hotel in San Francisco. I am by no means an electrician, though I can do the basics plus a little more. So I have a question for the pros.

we recently purchased a heat treatment system for pest control purposes. According to the manufacturer the system take 6 seperate 120v 20 amp circuits to operate at full capacity, or 1- 240v 50 amp circuit with a power distribution box.

I have been getting estimates from Electricians, and I wanted to know would the system work on the 3 phase 208v or should I go with the single Phase 240v 50 amp?

I told the electricians the manufacturer's recommendation, yet one proposed the 208.

kwired

Electron manager
I works as the chief engineer for a small boutique hotel in San Francisco. I am by no means an electrician, though I can do the basics plus a little more. So I have a question for the pros.

we recently purchased a heat treatment system for pest control purposes. According to the manufacturer the system take 6 seperate 120v 20 amp circuits to operate at full capacity, or 1- 240v 50 amp circuit with a power distribution box.

I have been getting estimates from Electricians, and I wanted to know would the system work on the 3 phase 208v or should I go with the single Phase 240v 50 amp?

I told the electricians the manufacturer's recommendation, yet one proposed the 208.

Two 120/208 4 wire multiwire branch circuits should work no problem at all with the six 120 volt circuit arrangement, and would likely be the preferred way to do it to evenly load the three phase supply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wouldn't operate a 240 volt machine at 208 volts. Since your supply is 208Y/120 I would run the 6-120 volt circuits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree use the 120V. If the system was just resistant heat then it will work fine but at a lesser capacity at 208. Of course if the system is rated 120/240 then you cannot be compliant running it at 208V.

Status
Not open for further replies.