Elevator Disconnect - Standard (Std.) vs. Maximum (Max.) HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sparky

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We are a consulting engineering firm, working on replacing elevators. An existing elevator disconnect nameplate states it is 200 Amps, 3 poles AC.

It has a table showing the applicable horsepower, depending on phases and volts.

The table has 2 main sections - one for "STD. HP" and one for "MAX HP."

What is the difference between Max. HP and Std. HP?
(Looking at a new Eaton/CH catalog, I see elevator disconnects, but no mention of HP. They are rated in amps. No "Std." or "Max." ratings are shown in this catalog.)

Thank you in advance.

disco.JPG

The Std and Max HP ratings are the range of horsepower the disconnect will accommodate (i.e. for fuse sizes that will protect but still operate the load of the max HP motor). The actual disconnect switch is rated for 200A, 600VAC, 3-phase.

If replacing the disconnect, you will need to know the load of the new elevator equipment, including voltage, phase and horsepower ratings. This picture of the disconnect switch does not actually tell you what the voltage or horsepower of the existing equipment is.

Dark Sparky

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Std. vs. Max.

Std. vs. Max.

Eastham11 - thank you for taking the time to reply. That helps.

What you said makes sense, and I understand that I can't determine the voltage or horsepower of the existing equip. from this nameplate.

I still do not understand the difference between "Standard" and "Maximum" on this type of nameplate? In other words, if I were specifying this type of disconnect, how would I choose whether to use the Std. or Max. portion of the table?

Thanks again.

Dark Sparky

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
More

More

Perhaps your key word is "range"? Is the "Std. HP" the lowest HP the switch will accomodate at the given voltage, and the "Max HP" the highest HP the switch will accomodate?

If so - I'd still wonder, what is the "disadvantage" of using a motor which meets the "Max. HP", rather than going up to the next size (Amps) disconnect?

Dark Sparky

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Bump

Bump

Just giving this a bump -

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Std. and Max. ratings? Is this an NEC thing?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.