GFCI: is this statement accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am evaluating a subcontractor's safety manual.

This statement has me wondering: "A GFCI will not protect an employee who comes in contact with two hot wires or a hot and a neutral wire. A GFCI will provide protection against fires, overheating, damage to insulation, and, the most common form of shock hazard -- the ground fault.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think that the whole statement is inaccurate. You will still get shocked from being in contact with the hot and neutral and the GFCI will not trip unless the current has another path besides thru the individual.

iwire

Staff member
"A GFCI will not protect an employee who comes in contact with two hot wires or a hot and a neutral wire.

Correct, in that case the person is just like any 'load' and the GFCI will not detect it.

A GFCI will provide protection against fires, overheating, damage to insulation, and, the most common form of shock hazard -- the ground fault.

In so much that if a ground fault happens the GFCI should open before the damage happens.

However just like the first part of the statement if it is a line to line or line to neutral problem the GFCI will not do anything to prevent any of the damage above.

Status
Not open for further replies.