Compatibilty breakers for GE panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

imowt

I am in search of a "tandem" 120v single pole15amp and 20 amp breaker for my GE panel. I did a search and cannot find anything. I see other manufacturers have what I am looking for but not for GE. Does anyone know which brand or manufacturer will work.\ Basically I need one extra 15 amp breaker and one 20 amp, so I need 2 "piggy backs"
Thanks
jake

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ge does not use tandem breaker but rather slim breakers. Basically they are half the thickness of a full size breaker and you can put two in the place of a single full size breaker. Some call them wafer breakers.

[h=1]THQP120 Circuit Breaker, 1-Pole 20-Amp Thin Series[/h]

414K7KaapKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Ge does not use tandem breaker but rather slim breakers. Basically they are half the thickness of a full size breaker and you can put two in the place of a single full size breaker. Some call them wafer breakers.

THQP120 Circuit Breaker, 1-Pole 20-Amp Thin Series

414K7KaapKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You must also remember those will not fit in every slot in every panel. Some panels they will, some panels will allow them in certain positions, and some panels will not accept them at all.

imowt

GE tandem or piggy back

GE tandem or piggy back

You must also remember those will not fit in every slot in every panel. Some panels they will, some panels will allow them in certain positions, and some panels will not accept them at all.

I did purchase a slim 15 and 20 amp breaker, and tried to install it where i needed it. ( where there was two sets of 14 gauge wires coming in)
Basically I am helping someone out, and the current panel was really in bad shape. There were wrong size breakers and wrong manufacturer breakers. They had murray "tandem" and they are not correct.
so I bought GE slims but I couldnt get them to install correctly. Is it possible they will not work, or is it me. is there a speacial slot for the slim ones. I cant believe there is no other manufacture that makes one compatible. I beginning to think I do not like GE panels.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
As kwired stated the panel must be rated to accept twins or slims. Not all the slots accept them but it depends on the panel. Generally if the panel does accept a slim, and is not a full slim panel, they are at the bottom end of the bus not the top.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A 20-40 panel will accept 40 slims or 20 full size breakers. It will also accept any combo of slims and full size since the entire panel will accept slims. A 30-40 will accept 30 full size or 20 full size and 10 slims. A 16-24 will supply 16 full size or 8 full and 16 slims. A panel that is 40-40 will not accept twins. Ge uses different numbers then what I stated but it is the same idea.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I bought GE slims but I couldnt get them to install correctly

These guys will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's easy to tell the stabs that will accept the slims because they have the little vertical tabs on the bus to accept the CB whereas the full size breaker uses the larger horizontal tab.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
These guys will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's easy to tell the stabs that will accept the slims because they have the little vertical tabs on the bus to accept the CB whereas the full size breaker uses the larger horizontal tab.
Yes it is easy plus the breaker will fit. :D BTW, it can also be seen on the panel cover and the diagram will show which cir. will accept them.

GearMan

I am in search of a "tandem" 120v single pole15amp and 20 amp breaker for my GE panel. I did a search and cannot find anything. I see other manufacturers have what I am looking for but not for GE. Does anyone know which brand or manufacturer will work.\ Basically I need one extra 15 amp breaker and one 20 amp, so I need 2 "piggy backs"
Thanks
jake

I found an old post that sums up how I was going to reply. Saved a few key strokes, now I can go out and shovel the driveway.

Circuit Breakers: CTL Assemblies
Aug 29th, 1999
I have seen some circuit breakers marked "Replacement Use Only - Not for CTL assemblies" What is a CTL system? What do the letters "CTL" represent? What is the danger of using "Replacement Use Only - Not for CTL assemblies" in a CTL assembly?

Answer

The history of CTL is somewhat clouded. You will hear many comments about what CTL means (but most are wrong). If memory serves, CTL means "Circuit Total Limiting". "Circuit Total Limiting" (CTL) was introduced when the words "A lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard shall be provided with physical means to prevent the installation of more overcurrent devices than that number for which the panelboard was designed, rated, and approved" was added to Section 384-15 in the 1965 NEC.

Here is a specific example:

Lighting and Appliance Panelboards (load centers) made since 1967 have been marked "Class CTL Panelboard". Some of these CTL panelboards (load centers) will accept a breaker that is other than full size (called tandems, half-size, wafers, etc.). These breakers have varying means to limit the number of them that can be installed in the load center. One manufacturer has a hooked foot on the tail end of the breaker that must mate up with a slot in the load center-mounting rail. Others use a rejection feature in the breaker that must mount up with a "fork" in the busbar to be installed. There are other arrangements as well.

When you hear somebody talk about a 30-40 load center (panelboard). It has 30 spaces for full size breakers and 10 of those spaces have slots to that allow the installation of the "other than full size" breakers. This 30-40 panelboard can contain 30 full size breakers and no tandem breakers, or it can contain 20 full size breakers with 10 "other than full size" breakers for a total of 40 circuits.

These "other than full size breakers" cannot be installed in a panelboard that that does not contain a "slot" in the mounting rail or a fork in the busbar, etc. Hence, the CTL panelboard has "physical means to prevent the installation of more overcurrent devices than that number for which the panelboard was designed, rated, and approved" in compliance with Section 384-15.

Keep in mind that many of these load center designs have been around since 1955. So what about panelboard manufactured and installed prior to the design that incorporated the rejection feature? In order to accommodate those designs, and have breakers that can still be installed, manufacturers have versions of the breakers that do not have the rejection feature. These breakers are marked "Replacement Use Only - Not for CTL assemblies."

What are the dangers on improperly using "Replacement Use Only - Not for CTL assemblies" in a CTL assembly?

If you install "Replacement Breakers" (tandem breakers without a hooked foot) in a CTL panelboard, the number of circuit breakers in the panelboard could exceed that number for which the panelboard was designed, rated, and approved. The result could be an overheated panelboard or the breakers might prematurely open (not stay in under load).
Installing "Replacement Breakers" in CTL panelboard is a violation of Section 110-3(b) and grounds for the inspector to "red-tag" the installation.
The bottom line is... use the breakers that are intended to be installed in the panelboard (load center). Your job will go much smoother.

Thanks to Jim Pauley of Square D for the short history of CTL circuit breakers.

From Mike Holt?s Free Electrical Newsletter

WIMaster

I did purchase a slim 15 and 20 amp breaker, and tried to install it where i needed it. ( where there was two sets of 14 gauge wires coming in)
Basically I am helping someone out, and the current panel was really in bad shape. There were wrong size breakers and wrong manufacturer breakers. They had murray "tandem" and they are not correct.
so I bought GE slims but I couldnt get them to install correctly. Is it possible they will not work, or is it me. is there a speacial slot for the slim ones. I cant believe there is no other manufacture that makes one compatible. I beginning to think I do not like GE panels.

Would it be feisable to install a 2 pole breaker and sub panel???

Status
Not open for further replies.