Preventing Work Van Doors from Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Anyone have any tips on preventing the side (sliding) door on a work van from freezing? Probably all the same but mine is a Ford. Friday morning it was 18 deg with snow and frozen rain from the day before. I couldn't get the sliding door to open. I finally got it after driving to the job site and the inside warming up from the heater. I know when the temp. drops after raining all day there will be problems, I would like to maybe help my chances of preventing this in the future. Any advice on this?

PetrosA

I'd coat the rubber seals with some silicone based grease or spray to keep moisture from condensing on them, and also apply some to where the seals lay against the paint. That should help shed the water and keep condensation from building up there.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Anyone have any tips on preventing the side (sliding) door on a work van from freezing? Probably all the same but mine is a Ford. Friday morning it was 18 deg with snow and frozen rain from the day before. I couldn't get the sliding door to open. I finally got it after driving to the job site and the inside warming up from the heater. I know when the temp. drops after raining all day there will be problems, I would like to maybe help my chances of preventing this in the future. Any advice on this?

i had all the doors on an astro van freeze shut while i was inside it, in indiana.

here's the solution.... go to the auto parts store, get some gas antifreeze,
an ice scraper, and and some foot warmers at wal mart.

put the gas antifreeze in the tank, the warmers in your shoes, and scrape the
windshield before entering the vehicle.

drive to california. when you reach the california border, on I 10, throw the
remaining foot warmers, ice scraper, and gas antifreeze out the window in
blythe.

never go back to where it freezes you into the car.

hope this helps.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You could put an electric heater in there on a time clock, have it turn on 30-45 minutes before your normal departure time, then you would have a semi-warm van when you get into it! Just don't forget to unplug it before you leave!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
i had all the doors on an astro van freeze shut while i was inside it, in indiana.

blythe.

hope this helps.

:p I was wondering what someone from California could possibly have to offer about this!

Howard Burger

try straight anti freeze on the door gaskets

try straight anti freeze on the door gaskets

Try putting some straight antifreeze on a rag and rubbing the door gaskets with it. I've used this trick for years up here and it works fine. -23 at my house this morning.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

blythe.

hope this helps.

:p I was wondering what someone from California could possibly have to offer about this!

Ful, Dude you have no Idea How hard I was laughing after reading your post. But in all seriousness I have had that happen to me in California.... It gets cold up here in the mountains.:lol: :lol: :lol:

mtfallsmikey

Spray/wipe down all weatherstripping with Armor-All
Lube door hinges/latches/locks with WD, or other penetrating oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.