master bath drawer plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

This is the 2nd customer now who wants a plug in the back of her master bath drawer for a hair dryer, etc. There is a wire in an electrical box ready in the wall behind the cabinet. I need to get a flexible wiring method to a plug in the back of the drawer. I need something legal that won't bind when opening and closing the drawer. I have asked electrical stores. They don't know. Someone suggested 3/8" flex. I guess that would work, but it might bind up. Suggestions?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe there is a manufacturer that makes a product specifically designed for a drawer receptacle.

svh19044

I would be looking at the self-winding electrical extension outlets.

It's an "extension cord" that is build in to the wall that winds back up. Unfortunately, the last time I had seem them, they were ungrounded, otherwise, they would work great for this application.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe there is a compliant way to do this and of course, you still must install one for the countertop(sink) area. I have seen one with a handy box and a rubber cord but frankly I am amazed that people want to blow dry their hair with the drawers open.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't believe there is a compliant way to do this and of course, you still must install one for the countertop(sink) area. I have seen one with a handy box and a rubber cord but frankly I am amazed that people want to blow dry their hair with the drawers open.

I agree any combination of cord and plug is likely not code compliant. I wold install a receptacle behind the drawer and let the HO install their own plug strip or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.