Not open for further replies.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
First google result

[h=1]Three-Phase and Single-Phase Power[/h]
kb_editor_rating.gif
kb_star_2.gif
Shop owners discuss running a single-phase motor using two legs of a three-phase power source. May 28, 2006Question
We have a 240 3 phase service. I was wondering if I can run a 240 single phase motor off of 2 legs of the three phase panel? Also, what if the motor is rated at 220 single phase - will using 2 legs of a 240 3 phase feed hurt it?
Forum Responses
(Solid Wood Machining Forum)
From contributor B:
Yes, you can run a 240v single phase motor on two legs of a 240v three phase service. You will actually be running on 208 volts, but that is within range of the motor tolerances.

:rotflmao:

Riograndeelectric

Reconfigure the motor for 120 volt power and give him a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Running a dual voltage tablesaw on 208 power would be worse than running it from a massively long extension cord and a series of power strips. :sick:

When DIYers (especially woodworkers) ask about reconfiguring motors, I typically tell them not to mess with it. In this case, not only are you not a DIYer, but here is a specific case where motor performance will be significantly improved at one voltage over the other, namely at the 120 volts versus 208 volts.

OH, I didn't see where this motor is already 120 volts. Leave it alone!!! Reconfiguring this motor for 240 on a 208 circuit will drastically reduce the available power.

The saw is wired for 120V
this saw is replacing another saw that ran on 208 volt. all I have is a 208V single phase circuit to work with

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Last edited:

growler

My customer would like to run this table saw on 208 volts single phase. Motor name plate ratings 1.5 HP motor 120/240V 13.6/6.5 Amps

The saw is wired for 120V
this saw is replacing another saw that ran on 208 volt. all I have is a 208V single phase circuit to work with

If this is a dedicated circuit for the saw it should be easy to change over to a dedicated 120V circuit. If you have #12 ga wire or larger it should be simple to change the breaker and receptacle.

I know that you probably don't have a white (neutral) and the code says you can't remark smaller than #6 but it has happened:happyyes: . Or pull a new neutral.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Here is a simplified schematic of the connections of the boost buck. It is really pretty simple. I know some know this, but not everybody does.

Attachments

• boost.JPG
    boost.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 1

Riograndeelectric

From the original poster who posed the question:

sorry for the confusion.
what I should have said is I only have 208V single phase available/ already installed at the saw location.

Thank you every one for your responses. I am wirng the saw for 120V to make the instalation simple.

I can not see adding a buck boost transformer when the saw can run fine on 120V.

Cameron

rt66electric

empirical data needed

empirical data needed

This is one of those situations, that would try it both (or three) ways to see if there was a noticible difference.

Wire it up 110, Then with dull blade and push a dried up oak 4X4 thru it. repeat process with 208, repeat process with buck/boost XFMR.
I would put in the extra time, to prove a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.