Blockmasons & Electrical Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Photos of meter with little clearance I mentioned earlier.

Did not measure but guessing only about 16 inches between these two buildings.

Anyone ever seen one of those right angle adapters before?
DSCF2219.jpg
DSCF2220.jpg
DSCF2221.jpg

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Nope, never seen one but I wish I knew about them a few years ago.

Had a customer build a interior sheet rock wall in front of a meter, I ended up getting the customer to install a door in the wall at that location.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There are some locals that have Resi next to commercial and sometime zero lot line celarance. This type of situation can easily happen.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
There are some locals that have Resi next to commercial and sometime zero lot line celarance. This type of situation can easily happen.

With all the approvals to get around here, that would never happen. We even have to plant a residential buffer with trees and bushes.

G0049

Could be both...

Could be both...

We have already been through this and disagree, so I am not going to rehash my view to death.

I had a new service installed on my house this past summer. Local POCO won't connect untill everything is signed off by the local inspector. While the inspector was here, I asked him about this contradiction. He said that, since there was no POCO connection yet, all the service equipment was under his jurisdiction. Once he signed off, and POCO transferred the the drop, it would be their jurisdiction.

Made sense to me.:happyyes:

iwire

Staff member
I had a new service installed on my house this past summer. Local POCO won't connect untill everything is signed off by the local inspector. While the inspector was here, I asked him about this contradiction. He said that, since there was no POCO connection yet, all the service equipment was under his jurisdiction. Once he signed off, and POCO transferred the the drop, it would be their jurisdiction.

Can you imagine when an inspector who is inspecting equipment was asked if they had jurisdiction on that equipment the inspector would respond?

'Why no, I do not and I should not even be looking at it.'

A coworker of mine got pulled over for running a stop sign in a mall parking lot. My coworker challenged it and in court the judge ripped the cop a new one for trying to enforce a stop sign on private property. But I bet to this day if you asked that cop if he had jurisdiction on that sign I bet he would say yes.

My opinion is that electrical inspectors will almost always believe if it is electric that they have jurisdiction and may even get away with enforcing their will even though the law might not really be in their favor.

Either way ...... someone will inspect the meter and it should have some clearances. :)

kwired

Electron manager

If you installed it - it is subject to inspection. If POCO installed it - it is not.

If you installed it to POCO specifications - it is subject to inspection. If their specifications do not meet AHJ's codes the POCO and AHJ need to meet and get on same page with the specifications.

It may not always be this way, but I think most would agree it makes the most sense.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
If you installed it to POCO specifications - it is subject to inspection.

But by who? Maybe the poco considers their personell giving it the eyeball before he connects the service lateral an "inspection" and rightly so.

Having sat on a local municipal board myself. I can tell you some of the "recommendations" for building codes that were sent to council for a vote were based on pure junk science, and articles in "Fretful Mother" Magazine.

707px-Fretful_Mother_Magazine.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
But by who? Maybe the poco considers their personell giving it the eyeball before he connects the service lateral an "inspection" and rightly so.

Having sat on a local municipal board myself. I can tell you some of the "recommendations" for building codes that were sent to council for a vote were based on pure junk science, and articles in "Fretful Mother" Magazine.

View attachment 6251

All the POCO's here have the authority to refuse to energize for something they don't consider safe or meeting their minimum criteria. Any installation specifications they have also meets NEC requirements. Often they may exceed NEC requirements. There is no way to install to POCO specs and not pass AHJ inspection. The POCO's that don't get too particular will still connect you but if you installed it and not them then AHJ can still make you change it if it doesn't meet NEC.

Sorry if your POCO's and AHJ's can't work together. On the occasions where there is conflicts - usually on existing construction you need to get both POCO and AHJ together and find a solution where both are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.