running separate ground for gfci plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

My boss wants me to run a separate ground for all gfci's installed where there is no equipment grounding conductor. the grounding situation described in 406.4d2. Yes he is writing the check so okay I'll do it. I have found where a #6 ground wire could be ran exposed if not subject to damage and you can run a separate ground if within walls without enclosing it in conduit. Am I missing something? I posted a question a while back about a dish washer with the same problem (no grounding conductor). I thought in the end, the discussion resulted in having to run a 12/2 with ground no matter what. I guess this is a different situation though. He wants all gfci plugs to have a separate equipment grounding conductor ran to the plug from "somewhere" (plumbing, panel, ground rod, etc). The code book doesn't require it. It isn't necessary. And the biggest obstacle, he only wants to pay a minimal amount of hours on any one rehab rough. Comments?

resistance

Interesting. You would think, if you can run a EGC, then you may as well run a new NM Cable with ground. Just my .01.

resistance

Also, I?m with George, if the owner of the company is looking to save money.
And the biggest obstacle, he only wants to pay a minimal amount of hours on any one rehab rough. Comments?
Suspicious!!! I most certainly would like to save money, but I?m certainly not going to under-cut my customer to do so!!!

BullsnPyrs

Also, I?m with George, if the owner of the company is looking to save money. Suspicious!!! I most certainly would like to save money, but I?m certainly not going to under-cut my customer to do so!!!

My guess is the Ropers are working for a piece rate per rough in or a hard ceiling on the number of hours on one rough and the Contractor is adding requirements without adding time or money for the installer.

difowler1

running separate ground

running separate ground

it is a rehab company. How about the ground? At one time there were arguments and code references cited when I posed a question like this.
What happened man!!? You guys were great!

Minuteman

What does the AHJ have to say about this type of install? You ought to be able to call them and ask an anonymous question. Regardless of what you do, they get the last word... everytime.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
it is a rehab company. How about the ground? At one time there were arguments and code references cited when I posed a question like this.

Well, if you're supplying equipment mentioned in 250.114, there could be an argument. If you asked the question before, why ask the same again? :huh:

kwired

Electron manager

2011 NEC read 406.4. It tells you what is allowed when replacing non-grounding receptacles, note there are tamper resistant, weather resistant, as well as AFCI requirements that were not in 2008.

Also see the informational note after part E telling you to see 250.114 for cord and plug connected equipment that is required to be grounded.

resistance

Well, if you're supplying equipment mentioned in 250.114, there could be an argument. If you asked the question before, why ask the same again? :huh:
Happy to see George understood and answered the: What happen man. You guys where great. Because I had no idea what the heck he or she was talking about. PS: We are still Great :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can run an individual egc to the main panel or to within 5' of where the water pipe enters the building, if it is a grounding electrode. 250.130

resistance

My guess is the Ropers are working for a piece rate per rough in or a hard ceiling on the number of hours on one rough and the Contractor is adding requirements without adding time or money for the installer.
Sounds like a bad contract to me!!! Oh well!!! It seems we have a huge pot of bad contractors out here. It’s no reason we can’t charge reasonable rates without someone complaining!! Off topic (Somewhat). I had a school instructor tell me his friend owns an electrical contracting business, and he said they are under-cutting the competition on all electrical service work, because the union is given them kick backs. I guess they are doing service changes for $500 a pop. Wow!! And no I am not talking out against the union. I no the rules!!! I’m just saying………!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.