Dimmer Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Does anyone know if they make a 4- way dimmer switch yet? A homeowner wants a dimmer switch on a 4 way system, and of course she wants the dimmer right where the 4 way switch is. I know in the past you could only have the dimmer on one of the 3 way ends, but now I heard you could have a dimmer on both 3 way switches. Anyone heard of a 4 way dimmer yet? Has anyone used two dimmers on a 3 way system? just curious on what kind of switches you need for that and how they work.

Occupation
Inspector
Are you "stuck" with a specific type of switch, toggle etc.?

There are a few manufactures that make great electronic dimmers and remotes. Leviton and Lutron to mention a few.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Lutron Maestro but they are decora style. You need to buy one master and 2 slave units for a 4 way switch. You can then dim from any location.

svh19044

Lutron Maestro but they are decora style. You need to buy one master and 2 slave units for a 4 way switch. You can then dim from any location.

Lutron Abella also, traditional style. I'm not sure why nobody realizes these exist, same exact technology as the Maestro without being a decora. Prior to being called the Abella, they were called something else, Faedra I believe. Slightly different toggle switch, but same functions.

I use Maestro's/Abella's on probably 90% of my kitchen/bath jobs. EXCELLENT dimmers, and lots of fun features.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Why,
with these electronic dimmers it really does not matter. There is no need to rewire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Why,
with these electronic dimmers it really does not matter. There is no need to rewire.
Then you wouldn't have to buy three dimmers. Depends on the wiring but generally it is hard to reconfigure a 4 way and probably not worth the time to actually re-wire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Lutron Abella also, traditional style. I'm not sure why nobody realizes these exist, same exact technology as the Maestro without being a decora. Prior to being called the Abella, they were called something else, Faedra I believe. Slightly different toggle switch, but same functions.

I use Maestro's/Abella's on probably 90% of my kitchen/bath jobs. EXCELLENT dimmers, and lots of fun features.

I didn't realize these could be used as the maestro is used.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.