Proper lighting for an educational facility??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng

Does anybody know of any studies or reports about which lamp color is better suited for an educational type environmnet? Typically I will spec 3500k because that is what I was taught to do, but I recently had an owner raise the question as to which is the best and if there is any information to back it up.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The IESNA may have some answers. I get there journal but have not seen this discussed. Most preferr 4100K lamps. Why not relamp one room and see what comments you get.

Eng

They might spec. 5000K. in their initial plans, but the maintenance guys will still buy 4100K or 3500K later on... :)

Very True. Hopefully this can be minimized by specing extra materials and when the maintenence staff goes to reorder they use the same part number from the extra materials box.

svh19044

I apparently skipped the second half of your post when I replied the first time around, but there is a LOT of interesting "research" out there which indicates that anything less than full spectrum leads to a poor learning environment.

Read some of these links and see what the "research" shows. The advantages of using full spectrum lighting are significant if you buy in to it...

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-....,cf.osb&fp=ba3c19829345ca2f&biw=1104&bih=556

Status
Not open for further replies.