Need help finding a 120 volt "remote" emergency fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of a 120V outdoor dual head "remote" type LED fixture I can use for emergency lighting fed from a UPS system? I know it sounds odd and there are probably a million different ways I could do this, but this (and only this) is what I am limited to. I could list the reasons, but it gives me a headache. We have tried to convince the owner to let us use traditional battery back-up, but no luck.

I have searched on the web and have been able to find a version from a Chinese company. That's not the route I want to go.

Anything you can point me to will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

iwire

Staff member
If you are taking about supplying a legally required egress light from a standard UPS that is a problem in itself.

The UPS would need to be listed as an emergency supply, at least that is how it is where I am.

When I said limited, I meant that this option of providing emergency lighting is the only scheme the owner will allow in this building (plant control) on the project. I should clarify.

This is not an off the shelf UPS system. It is a large battery network feeding 125V DC through a 25 KVA inverter with static and manual bypass, which then feeds our 120V, 1PH UPS distribution panel. This UPS feeds what I will refer to as critical plant control system and instrumentation computers and other assorted necessities that are all located in this control building and around the site. Owner does not want fluorescent sources in the spaces on the UPS or even additional incandescent fixtures placed for egress and temporary operation if needed. Battery units are not allowed in this building for reasons I don't know. Someone threw out LED and that was OK.

SO, long story short. I figured if I could find a 120V LED dual head outdoor remote type fixture, I can use it indoors in finished and unfinished areas, as well as where required outdoors for egress from the building. One circuit and done, minimal load on the UPS, everybody is happy.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Any ideas on fixture sources is appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
This is not an off the shelf UPS system. It is a large battery network feeding 125V DC through a 25 KVA inverter with static and manual bypass, which then feeds our 120V, 1PH UPS distribution panel. This UPS feeds what I will refer to as critical plant control system and instrumentation computers and other assorted necessities that are all located in this control building and around the site.

I believe it still is a code violation to use that UPS for 'emergency lighting', please glance at 700.12 and 700.9(B)

hmspe

Occupation
PE
I believe it still is a code violation to use that UPS for 'emergency lighting', please glance at 700.12 and 700.9(B)

That would depend on how the system is configured. Iota Engineering makes UPS systems listed for the purpose, as do several other companies. A listed UPS that passes utility power in normal mode and battery power in emergencies would not be a problem. That lets the UPS provide the transfer function. A photocell or time clock can still be used in normal mode. A local transfer switch similar to what nine24 makes would also be an option.

maghazadeh

Does anyone know of a 120V outdoor dual head "remote" type LED fixture I can use for emergency lighting fed from a UPS system? I know it sounds odd and there are probably a million different ways I could do this, but this (and only this) is what I am limited to. I could list the reasons, but it gives me a headache. We have tried to convince the owner to let us use traditional battery back-up, but no luck.

I have searched on the web and have been able to find a version from a Chinese company. That's not the route I want to go.
Anything you can point me to will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

In such a bad economy with so many people in the USA out of work, I am glad to hear that's not the route you would go. Thank you Craig.

JDB3

What I have done is taped off an exit/emergency light with battery back up to feed an egress light. The emergency light was listed for this application (Ruud Lighting).:)

iwire

Staff member
That would depend on how the system is configured. Iota Engineering makes UPS systems listed for the purpose, as do several other companies. A listed UPS that passes utility power in normal mode and battery power in emergencies would not be a problem. That lets the UPS provide the transfer function. A photocell or time clock can still be used in normal mode. A local transfer switch similar to what nine24 makes would also be an option.

I am well aware of that, I have installed them.

But the op said it supplied non emergency loads so that means it cannot also supply emergency loads from the same transfer switch or panel.

This is not an off the shelf UPS system. It is a large battery network feeding 125V DC through a 25 KVA inverter with static and manual bypass, which then feeds our 120V, 1PH UPS distribution panel. This UPS feeds what I will refer to as critical plant control system and instrumentation computers and other assorted necessities

Last edited:

hmspe

Occupation
PE
I am well aware of that, I have installed them.

But the op said it supplied non emergency loads so that means it cannot also supply emergency loads from the same transfer switch or panel.

The suggestion for the Iota-type system would not require the existing UPS but certainly could use the UPS output to power the Iota (or similar) UPS. I realize the owner has a preference but if the preference doesn't meet Code then a different approach must be used.

We may have to agree to disagree on whether the LED fixtures could be fed from the existing UPS. If the LED fixtures were also used for normal mode lighting in the area no transfer switch would be required -- just leave them on 24/7. If a transfer switch was needed one of the units from www.924inc.com might work. They are written up as being for ballasts, but they might also be suitable for LED.

hmspe

Occupation
PE
What I have done is taped off an exit/emergency light with battery back up to feed an egress light. The emergency light was listed for this application (Ruud Lighting).:)

How is this Code compliant? An exit sign is technically unit equipment, not a UPS system. Also, the exit sign will monitor the indoor circuit. What if the outdoor lighting circuit fails but the interior circuit stays on? I believe that the intent of the Codes (IBC and NEC) is that emergency lighting needs to come on when the normal mode lighting in an area is lost. Outdoors is not the same area as an indoor room.

OK. Here's where I'm at.

OK. Here's where I'm at.

I will agree that the emergency lighting circuits need to come from a separate enclosure from the one that the vital computers and other "assorted" loads are fed. Done deal. My mistake, missed that one. Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for setting me straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.