Lamp or Bulb: What do you call the object that you screw into a socket?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Lamp or Bulb: What do you call the object that you screw into a socket?

• Lamp

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Bulb

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Neither (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevareno

I have co-workers in a debate on what to properly call a light emitting apparatus.

One co-worker says lamp. The other co-worker says "No, a lamp is what sits on your desk, what you mean is bulb".

What say you?

the blur

technically it's called a LAMP. Ask sylvania what a bulb is, they won't know. however, 99% of the population calls it a bulb, so when you walk into home depot, you need to ask for a bulb, otherwise you'll end up in the desk lamp dept.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have long maintained that professionals in any walk of life need to take care to separate the language of their profession from common conversational English. "Lamp" fits the first description; "bulb" fits the second. Neither term is wrong! You just need to recognize which language you are speaking, when you use either term.

Besoeker

I have co-workers in a debate on what to properly call a light emitting apparatus.

One co-worker says lamp. The other co-worker says "No, a lamp is what sits on your desk, what you mean is bulb".

What say you?
Lamps, light bulbs, whatever you want to call them are mostly bayonet cap here.
Screwing is something else..........:D

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have long maintained that professionals in any walk of life need to take care to separate the language of their profession from common conversational English. "Lamp" fits the first description; "bulb" fits the second. Neither term is wrong! You just need to recognize which language you are speaking, when you use either term.

Right! If I went to the wholesale house and asked for a roll of 12 AWG conductor, with some trade size 1/2 EMT, to connect to a luminaire, they would be baffled.

But it is important to use electrician language when discussing code issues we get into trouble when asking the size of a ground wire.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

What say you?

Most of the last ones were CFL's.

What does the genie come out of, a lamp or a bulb?

So, what about bulb shaped CFL's ?

What about a fuse? They will screw into a socket and for a short time, emit light.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I think the same way, the main goal is to be understood , I use one term at supply house and the other with customer, so could not vote in poll as there was no "both" option.

jeremysterling

I think the same way, the main goal is to be understood , I use one term at supply house and the other with customer, so could not vote in poll as there was no "both" option.

Yes, you should always ask customers if they happen to have a replacement bulb, unless, of course, you are requiring a tube.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Decades ago, when I interviewed at Nela Park, I was told in no uncertain terms that THEY manufactured lamps; bulbs were things for growing tulips.

Those lamps were in envelopes that their machinery formed.

(Nela Park made lamps but more importantly, folks there invented & built lamp-making machinery & processes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.