Oil resistant insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That may be, but their quote is referring to the use of the THWN-2 rating.
My guess is their statement is based on the fact that all their THWN is also MTW. That would explain alot

From Southwire

600 Volts. Copper Conductor Thermoplastic Insulation/SIM Nylon Sheath Heat, Moisture, Gasoline, and Oil Resistant 1
Also Rated MTW and THWN-2 SIM Technology? for Easier Pulling

APPLICATIONS
Southwire SIMpull THHN? or THWN-2 conductors are primarily used in conduit and cable trays for services, feeders, and
branch circuits in commercial or industrial applications as specified in the National Electrical Code. When used as Type
THHN, or T90 Nylon conductor is suitable for use in dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90 ?C. When used as Type
THWN-2 or TWN75, conductor is suitable for use in wet or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90 ?C or not to exceed
75 ?C when exposed to oil. When used as Type MTW, conductor is suitable for use in wet locations or when exposed to oil at
temperatures not to exceed 60 ?C or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90 ?C (with ampacity limited to that for 75 ?C
conductor temperature per NFPA 79). Conductor temperatures not to exceed 105 ?C in dry locations when rated AWM and
used as appliance wiring material or when used asT90 Nylon. Voltage for all applications is 600 volts. This cable should be
installed without application of pulling lubricant.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You won't find it in the NEC. Here is what the letters mean:

Wire & Cable Type Description
T= Thermoplastic insulation
H= 75?C (Note: lack of "H" indicates 60?C)
HH =90?C
N =Nylon jacket
W =Moisture resistant
R =Rubber insulation
U =Underground use
USE =Underground Service Entrance *
UF =Underground Feeder *
SE =Service Entrance *
-2 =90?C and wet

Oil is not an official criteria. However there is nothing to stop a specific manufacturer from also including oil and gasoline resistance as part of their labeling. In the case of THHN and THWN, that was the initial reason they were developed; the "N" for Nylon was intended to provide protection against abrasion when being pulled in conduit but also against incidental contact with oil and gasoline when used in automotive service stations. But that was not laid out in the NEC. The only thing I have seen that addresses it is UL, so when they UL list their wire, UL has test criteria for "Oil Resistant" if you want to put that into your listing. As I interpret it though, you can get wire UL listed as THHN or THWN without also getting Oil Resistant added to it. That means if you bother to go through the expense of the test, you are most likely going to emblazon that fact right on the jacket and charge a little more for it, so it can be assumed that if it doesn't say it, it probably isn't.

I have a copy of UL-83, but to protect the site, I won't paste in the test criteria. However in a paraphrase, it is "Oil Resistant" 75C if after being submerged in oil for 60 days at 75C, the nylon jacket is intact, the insulation has not elongated (thinned) to less than 65% of it's original thickness (which addresses the dielectric strength) and has not lost it's tensile strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.