Patient Care Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Foelber

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,
I am currently doing a Dermatology office that has 7 Exam Rooms. At the beginning of the project the architect instructed me that this was not oshpod 3? And that no redundant ground path is needed. Our inspector failed us on art 517. I have done many optic offices and chiropractic offices with exam rooms where this was not required. Or maybe it was? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
THanks

raider1

Staff member
The definition of health care facility in 517.2 IMHO would include a dermatology office with exam rooms. I also feel that chiropractic offices and exam rooms also constitute health care facilities.

Chris

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Architects tend to be wishful thinkers in such cases. He will probably drop the blame on you for not confirming with the AHJ.

bphgravity

The design of electrical systems is typcially not within the scope of an architects qualifications or licensing.

Here in Florida, electrical systems for a HCF must be designed by a professional engineer, unless the scope of work is within the parameters that would allow a licnesed electrical contractor to design the system.

I am surpirsed the construction documents made it through the plan review and permitting process without indicating Article 517 compliance. It is very unfortunate when something like this makes it all the way to inspections...

MarkyMarkNC

The last dermatology center I did had patient care areas listed by the engineer. The last eye center I did was as well.

With seven exam rooms, the additional cost to wire with hospital grade MC adds a fairly significant cost (in relation to the overall cost of the job) so I can see why they would try to get around the requirement, but I would have to agree with your inspector.

You may be able to have the engineer or owner write a letter, stating that this is not a patient care facility, but that would kind of be a stretch IMO.

Hendrix

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,
I am currently doing a Dermatology office that has 7 Exam Rooms. At the beginning of the project the architect instructed me that this was not oshpod 3? And that no redundant ground path is needed. Our inspector failed us on art 517. I have done many optic offices and chiropractic offices with exam rooms where this was not required. Or maybe it was? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
THanks
I hope he failed you on the "rough" stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.