Grounding Autotransformer Overcurrent Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanland

2011 NEC 450.5(B)(2)(b) requires overcurrent protection for a grounding transformer at 125% of rating but specifically states that delay of tripping for proper function is allowed. This means that a thermal or overload element is required but that neither a short-time nor instantaneous (magnetic) element is required. I am looking for a molded case 480V 3-phase circuit breaker that has a thermal element but no magnetic element or, if electronic, has neither short-time nor instantaneous elements. I am totally unable to find anything. Square D even has a FAQ that states they do not offer any thermal-only circuit breakers.

In the utility industry, working with high-voltage breakers, we often have time delayed only elements, but the equipment is $1000's.

I need a 100A 480V 3-pole thermal-only breaker.

Does any one know of a manufacturer?

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

No. All of the CBs that I have seen, in that frame size have an inherent instantaneous trip. In fact, all of the molded case CBs of any frame size (that I have seen) have an inherent instantaneous trip.

As I recall, there are hi instantaneous trip CBs listed in the catalogs. Perhaps one of those is high enough to be out of the way

iceworm

zog

2011 NEC 450.5(B)(2)(b) requires overcurrent protection for a grounding transformer at 125% of rating but specifically states that delay of tripping for proper function is allowed. This means that a thermal or overload element is required but that neither a short-time nor instantaneous (magnetic) element is required. I am looking for a molded case 480V 3-phase circuit breaker that has a thermal element but no magnetic element or, if electronic, has neither short-time nor instantaneous elements. I am totally unable to find anything. Square D even has a FAQ that states they do not offer any thermal-only circuit breakers.

In the utility industry, working with high-voltage breakers, we often have time delayed only elements, but the equipment is $1000's.

No such animal exists

ron

I've seen power (SWGR listed to UL-1066) circuit breakers that have an instantaneous element that can be disabled, but we are feeding 30 cycle rated equipment for those applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.