Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No opinion right from the 2011 NEC:

406.9(B) Wet Locations.
(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location.
15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed
in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof
whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted
. For
other than one- or two-family dwellings, an outlet box hood
installed for this purpose shall be listed, and where installed
on an enclosure supported from grade as described in
314.23(B) or as described in 314.23(F) shall be identified as
“extra-duty.” All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking-
type receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant
type.Exception: 15- and 20-ampere, 125- through 250-volt receptacles
installed in a wet location and subject to routine
high-pressure spray washing shall be permitted to have an
enclosure that is(2) Other Receptacles. All other receptacles installed in a
wet location shall comply with (B)(2)(a) or (B)(2)(b).
(a) A receptacle installed in a wet location, where the
product intended to be plugged into it is not attended while
in use, shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the
attachment plug cap inserted or removed.

(b) A receptacle installed in a wet location where the
product intended to be plugged into it will be attended while
in use (e.g., portable tools) shall have an enclosure that is
weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

JDB3

Thanks. If the receptacle is under a covered porch or under the eve, is it in a damp or a wet location? Also what distance would the receptacle need to be under cover for the location to change damp or wet? Thanks again..

stickboy1375

Thanks. If the receptacle is under a covered porch or under the eve, is it in a damp or a wet location? Also what distance would the receptacle need to be under cover for the location to change damp or wet? Thanks again..

Under a eve I still consider wet, on a porch if its back far enough I consider it damp.

svh19044

I would leave that to the discretion of the inspector. My inspectors have asked me before why I used an in-use on a deep eve, and the answer was because I didn't want to do it twice. Also, perhaps not in TX, but I would consider the idea of snow drifting making some areas wet location that would not normally be considered. As a general rule of thumb, I go by exterior is in use, unless in a screened in porch.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Under a eve I still consider wet, on a porch if its back far enough I consider it damp.

On the underside of an eave is a damp location IMO.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

kwired

Electron manager

That is the million dollar question. NEC leaves it to interpretation, and you will get many different interpretations for the same installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.