Hot Work off of Scizzor Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
What is the price of a workers life, hopefully it is a number that is undeterminable. Big business sadly may see it as less than cost of 72 hours of down time.

I don't know. Yes that would be nice - but likely not realistic. Sadly yes they may.

From my side of my keyboard I can't see the risks or mittigating issues of others - including the OP. The only thing I can comment on with certainty is my own judgement of risk.

Personal opinion statement follows:
We do not live in a risk free society. There are no risk free jobs. Every day we all accept risk - often these risks have deadly consequences. We all accept driving to work. Some of us on freeways like Boston, El Paso, Seattle, or Memphis. My opinion is if I can reduce the risk of a job to where it is no greater than driving to work, then I will accept that risk. If I can't, then it is time for more robust (read "really expensive") mittigation.

I'll give an example of my personal risk tolerance. As long as I have a choice, I will never accept the risk of driving to work in traffic like the cities I mentioned. I would much rather deal with -40F, ice, narrow two lane highways, shared with gasoline tankers doing 60 MPH - much safer. I suspect that plenty on here will think my risk tolerance is either wrong-headed or too low - or both. And they could absolutely be right.

ice

kwired

Electron manager
I would much rather deal with -40F, ice, narrow two lane highways, shared with gasoline tankers doing 60 MPH - much safer. I suspect that plenty on here will think my risk tolerance is either wrong-headed or too low - or both. And they could absolutely be right.

I would rather do that also - except maybe the -40F part. I can take cold but once you start to go below zero it is just brutal.

Although if the gasoline tanker would wreck you could have a nice fire to keep warm:D

iwire

Staff member
I have not read the other comments yet, but let me respond to your last point first.

I would not have your post quite so offensive - had it not had the smell of a personal attack.

ice

Wow, you really misread the post, I apologize if you felt it was a personal attack. It was not meant to be.

Let me rephrase what you found offensive.

But I should not be thinking how I would justify hot work to myself but how I would justify if I found myself sitting in front of a lawyer giving a desperation.

I would have to be able to show it was more dangerous to shut things down. That will be tough if someone was hurt doing the hot work.

Are we good now? :)

Interesting - but, nearly off point and useless. What I would do or suggest wouldn't be anything you would have a clue about.

Say what?

I will chock that up to you being offended, but trust me I have a clue.

My post concerned the continuous industrial process exemption. I personally don't know what that means. Any process can be shut down - it is just a matter of money. I don't know where one draws the line. Osha doesn't give any clues. So. in your opinion, what would be some examples of those cases?

You seem to be looking for a written list that says 'this is OK, this is not OK' I know of no such list and I have been interested in seeing something like that since about 1997. I have been on electrical forums since 2002 and have not seen anyone produce such a list.

It is a judgment call that when made had better jive with the AHJs judgement.

Yeah, I know it sucks.

That is why in my personal opinion we have to approach it like we are trying to justify it after a death has happened.

Of course you don't have to agree with my opinion in the least but that does not make me 'clueless'. :lol:

Just this morning forum member 'Brother' posted this link. I think it is well worth the read.

http://www.wbgllp.com/pages/partner-attorney/when-are-safety-measures.html

Just a snipit
WHEN ARE SAFETY MEASURES "INFEASIBLE"?

To carry its burden and prove its defense of infeasibility, the employer must prove:

(1) the means of compliance prescribed by the applicable standard would have been infeasible under the circumstances in that

(a) its implementation would have been technologically or economically infeasible or

(b) necessary work operations would be technologically or economically infeasible after its implementation, and

(2) either (a) an alternative method of protection was used, or

(b) there was no feasible alternative means of protection.

If you read the entire article I think you will see that the employer has a long road to climb to prove this and it can take years ... years cost money.

iwire

Staff member
We do not live in a risk free society. There are no risk free jobs. Every day we all accept risk - often these risks have deadly consequences. We all accept driving to work. Some of us on freeways like Boston, El Paso, Seattle, or Memphis. My opinion is if I can reduce the risk of a job to where it is no greater than driving to work, then I will accept that risk. If I can't, then it is time for more robust (read "really expensive") mittigation.

Why would your cut off level be the safety of driving to work? They are entirely unrelated risks and behaviors.

I know very few ways to avoid having to drive to work, I know a very direct way not to get electrocuted or burned on the job.

iceworm

Occupation
I have not read the other comments yet, but let me respond to your last point first.

Originally Posted by iceworm
I would not have your post quite so offensive - had it not had the smell of a personal attack.
ice

Wow, you really misread the post, I apologize if you felt it was a personal attack. It was not meant to be.

Let me rephrase what you found offensive.

But I should not be thinking how I would justify hot work to myself but how I would justify if I found myself sitting in front of a lawyer giving a desperation.

I would have to be able to show it was more dangerous to shut things down. That will be tough if someone was hurt doing the hot work.

Are we good now? :) ...

Yes. That certainly is not pointed directly at me.

Originally Posted by iceworm
Interesting - but, nearly off point and useless. What I would do or suggest wouldn't be anything you would have a clue about.

Say what?

I will chock that up to you being offended, but trust me I have a clue. ...

...You seem to be looking for a written list that says 'this is OK, this is not OK' I know of no such list and I have been interested in seeing something like that since about 1997. I have been on electrical forums since 2002 and have not seen anyone produce such a list.

It is a judgment call that when made had better jive with the AHJs judgement.

Yeah, I know it sucks. ...
Yes, that was too strongly worded. For that I appologize.

As a PE I get asked regularly asked to define regulatory intent. The management expectation is I give them a defensible position. This particular one, the exception for continuous process leaves me cold as why one can't most anything down - it just a matter of money. I don't know what the regularly intent is. So, I tell them that.

As to why I use the analogy of driving to work. I'll have to discuss that later - I'm off to work.

ice

iceworm

Occupation
Good Morning. I'm back from work for a few days.

I appologize for not responding earlier, but I've never had a sufficient time block to give a decent response. I could look in for a few minutes, but not for very long.

Why would your cut off level be the safety of driving to work? They are entirely unrelated risks and behaviors.

I know very few ways to avoid having to drive to work, I know a very direct way not to get electrocuted or burned on the job.

Okay, here's why and how -

I'm going to generalize your statement a bit. It should be okay, but if not, I'll change my statement. So, paraphrased, 'you know excellent work methods and techniques to minimize the risk of getting burrned or electrocuted on the job.'

Yes, I agree, You absolutely do. Most all of you posts show that you are experienced, smart, and consciencous. But, in my opinion, there are no zero risk tasks. There is always some risk. However, the risks can be mittigated - generally to as low as to company management is willing to pay for.

Now let's look at driving to work. I don't know any way to avoid driving to work either. But there are a lot of ways to mittigate the risk: For example, roll bar, reinforcing cage, 4-point harness, helmut, nomex suit, side and forward airbags, fuel cell, automatic internal fire suppression. Just curious, how many of those do you have in your vehicle? Except for forward airbags, I don't have any. Why not? Because, in my opinion the amount of money it would cost does not justify the reduction in risk. That means I am willing to accept the risk inherent in driving to work in a standard vehicle. Apparently you also accept the risk of driving to work - and probably a lot more risk than I am willing to accept.

Next, if we look at accident statistics, driving one's car to work is likely the most risky thing we will do each day - and that includes our work tasks (statisticly speaking).

So, how do I make the connection between the risk of injury driving to work and acceptable risk at work? Well, most people can see and understand the risks inherent is driving to work. DOT accident statistics are available, and the severity is crippling injury or death. Generally people can see and understand the costs inherent in mittigation measures. And this is a hook into the concepts of risk mittigation.

...You seem to be looking for a written list that says 'this is OK, this is not OK' I know of no such list and I have been interested in seeing something like that since about 1997. I have been on electrical forums since 2002 and have not seen anyone produce such a list. ...

No, not a list - rather a quantification of likelyhood and severity for each action of the work task. There are methods available to do this quantification. Apparently they are typically not discussed on electrical forums. And since this is not my area of expertise, I can't comment further.

Still, the concepts for quantification and mittigation of risk are the same whether it is driving to work, or a work task. I think the parallel works. And I think the issues are all about the money.

Now, if you don't agree, let's take this to the extreme - say, live-line, bare-handed work. Now that is all about the money it costs to take down a transmission line - no more, no less. (How did you phrase that? Oh yeah, "Yeah, I know it sucks.")

Bear in mind that part of my job is to give company management technical interpretations of regulations. So, when I get asked if XYZ process meets the Osha exception for continuous process, my response is, "I don't know. The regulation is not explicit. All processes can be taken down. It is just a matter of money. You have to tell me if the costs involved are high enough to justify the risk. That is not a decision I can make."

...It is a judgment call that when made had better jive with the AHJs judgement. ...

...That is why in my personal opinion we have to approach it like we are trying to justify it after a death has happened. ...

This is where I would not agree. In my personal opinion, we have to approach it such that the risks are mittigated to where if the job goes completely wrong, the severity is not death nor crippling injury.

There is risk in anything we do. I would just like to see the part we do for money not result in being unable to continue to work.

So believeth the worm

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
By your logic I shoud be able to drive 80 mph to work in the morning because I think the 55 speed limit as unreasonable?

You are not from New Jersey are you lol

Try driving the speed limit on the NJ Turnpike sometime, let me know how it works out :happyno:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
If you are not doing at least 15 over, grandma in her minivan with the grandkids, flies past mouthing bad words and making obscene hand gestures :D. Here in the Philly-NYC metro area we don't play around lol.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
BTW, I do see Iceworms point, pretty soon you will have to be wearing a space suit to reset a residential branch circuit breaker. Where's it going to end?

And here is one of my personal favorites from when I use to fly. Some guys used check lists and this that and the other to do their pre-flight, but missed things anyway. Why????? Because they were stupid and no amount of training was ever going to make them mechanical minded enough to ever be able to do a proper pre-flight.

Education about electrical theory, and experience in the field is going to make you a safer worker than all the space suits in the world.

You have no idea how many times I've had to stop guys who were wearing a ton of PPE from doing something really stupid that no amount of PPE would ever have protected them from.

Status
Not open for further replies.