Branch Circuit Equipment Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grajr38

I am new to this and would like some professional advice. I am currently working on a hospital project in Florida and we are using the 2005 NEC. What we have are 2 section panels (side by side, 225 MLO with sub feed lugs,120/208v 3P4W) that have main breakers in distribution panels in the main electrical rooms on each of the floors. The panels serve only the floors they are on including the patient rooms and patient care areas. Being in the trade for a good while, we consider them to be "one panel". We are utilizing all "84" circuits if you will. When we did our layout of the homeruns and grouped our circuits(no more than 3 hots and 3 neutrals per conduit, including our EGC), we had to "combine" circuits from both sections in one conduit, lets say circuits 1, 83, and 84. Our AHCA inspector is telling us that we need to have 2 EGC's in that homerun since we are taking circuits from both sections even though it is one common panel. Unless I overlooked it in the code, is there anything stating that you need 2 EGC's in a homerun if you do what we did or is he just being a AHJ using his authority? :?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Interesting question. If these were neutral's of a MWBC (I know that is not the case here, but you could under the 2005) they would have to go to the same panel (I'm saying you have 2 panels, not one) but IMO opinion, even under 517 ground conductors would not, as I believe this is handled by 517.14. IMO opinion the AHJ is wrong.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The problem with AHCA inspectors is they know just enough to be dangerous. There is no requirement to have two insulated wire EGC's in these conduits, this inspector is trying to inspect something he doesn't understand. I dealt with them years ago when they were HRS and it doesn't appear things have changed.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.