DC Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

astaticpunk

Looking for some information

Is there any standard size wiring gauge for DC wiring inside of a cabinet/enclosure for wires that are not put into a cable form

My question pertains to a machine that's being built. It's built in a metal cabinet and I was told that because the wiring is not in an insulated case that the minimum gauge wire was 16

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Looking for some information

Is there any standard size wiring gauge for DC wiring inside of a cabinet/enclosure for wires that are not put into a cable form

My question pertains to a machine that's being built. It's built in a metal cabinet and I was told that because the wiring is not in an insulated case that the minimum gauge wire was 16

What is the spec you are building to? UL508A? NEC 409? Something else? That spec would be the first place I would look.

ice

astaticpunk

Would I need to follow NEC 409 if I am locating a PLC and DC Power supply within the machine I am building and not in it's own seperate enclosure?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
UL 508A or NFPA 79 would be the appropriate standard. You can purchase a copy of NPFA 79 at a reasonable cost. UL 508A is very expensive.
Some locations will require the control panel to be listed by a panel shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.