250.53(C) vs. 250.102(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Look at the following one line, and tell me, does the bonding jumper between the building steel and water pipe have to be 4/0 or 3/0 CU?

Attachments

• oneline.jpg
    oneline.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1

ritelec

Is the conductor between the steel and the water pipe a Supply Side Bonding Jumper? :)

I think this question is in reference to Bonding Jumper, Main (at the service).
not, Bonding Jumper, System (separately derived system)..........but I think you knew that....:+).

SSBJ.........................any relation to sbir or lbir ?
answer:no

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Ritelec, do you see anything in the definition of "Supply Side Bonding Jumper" to exclude the conductor depicted between the steel and the water pipe in the diagram?

The conductor between the steel and the water pipe is clearly not a Main Bonding Jumper or a System Bonding Jumper.

ritelec

You can call me Rich.

"do you see anything in the definition of "Supply Side Bonding Jumper" to exclude the conductor depicted between the steel and the water pipe in the diagram"?

no. The utility x former is a separately derived system also. but it's service??? Would not the conductor between the beam and water pipe be part of the grounding electrode system (conductor)?

"The conductor between the steel and the water pipe is clearly not a Main Bonding Jumper or a System Bonding Jumper".

Wait........I may be seeing what your getting at........jumper vs conductor.

In answer to your questions..........I haven't.

working on it....bonding conductor or jump... a conductor that insures electrical conductivity between metal parts of the electrical installation.

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You can call me Rich.
Thanks. :)

Do you see anything in the definition of "Supply Side Bonding Jumper" to exclude the conductor depicted between the steel and the water pipe in the diagram?

no. The utility x former is a separately derived system also.
No, it is a service.

Would not the conductor between the beam and water pipe be part of the grounding electrode system (conductor)?
Yes, that's it's reason for being installed, 250.50.

The conductor between the steel and the water pipe is clearly not a Main Bonding Jumper or a System Bonding Jumper.

Wait........I may be seeing what your getting at........jumper vs conductor.
Not so much. What I am getting at is that 250.53(C) states that we follow 250.66, but 250.102(C) requires us to size a large conductor to 12.5% of the ungrounded conductors. The question is, is that conductor between the steel and the water pipe a supply side bonding jumper? I think there is a goof in the definition of Supply Side Bonding Jumper.

ritelec

What I am getting at is that 250.53(C) states that we follow 250.66, but 250.102(C) requires us to size a large conductor to 12.5% of the ungrounded conductors. The question is, is that conductor between
the steel and the water pipe a supply side bonding jumper? I think there is a goof in the definition of Supply Side Bonding Jumper.

crazy...So in 250.66...........instead of over 1100 - 3/0.....why don't they continue the chart or refer you to 250.102c to make it the 12.5% .......thank you for bring this to my attention.(or does 250.102c come into play after the service? At the service 3/0 is the max?)

Or am I reading this wrong and there is grounding electrode conductor which would max a 3/0, but there's a SSBJ also which could be sized larger then the GEC.

I gotta work on this.

The question...........Is the steal to water pipe a supply side bonding jumper...............I'm going to say no.... it's a grounding electrode conductor.

I think if the utility x former in the picture was a custom transformer......the grounding between that transformer and disconnect would be SSBJ...................

let me know please.......right or wrong.

Last edited:

ritelec

Thank you Dave,

So, from the steal to water, is it a grounding electrode bonding jumper?

Is it a system bonding jumper?

Is it a supply side bonding jumper?

wowe..................getting real close to just calling it a wire.

So from the neutral to steal it's a conductor (gec) but from steal to water its a jumper (sbj)?
If it were continuous (the wire) from neutral to steal to water pipe, is it still a jumper from steal to water or part of the conductor?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
wow..................getting real close to just calling it a wire.

So from the neutral to steal it's a conductor (gec) but from steal to water its a jumper (sbj)?
If it were continuous (the wire) from neutral to steal to water pipe, is it still a jumper from steal to water or part of the conductor?
I'm going with "Bonding Jumper". My opinion, it's a GEC to the first electrode and bonding jumper after that be it continuous or spliced.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
A Supply Side Bonding Jumper bonds together metal parts that contain service conductors, say, four sets of RMC coming into an open bottom cabinet at a service.

I understand what the intent probably was, but don't you think the wording is kind of wide open?

Bonding Jumper, Supply-Side. A conductor, like, installed on the supply side of a service or within a service equipment enclosure(s), or for a separately derived system or somethin', that ensures the required electrical conductivity between metal parts required to be electrically connected and stuff.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.