Got scolded by my wife on ground up or down on receptacles! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

I've laughed many times at the argument of ground up or down on receptacles, it has finally came home to haunt me! I bought my Dads old house, built in the 60's, and I'm busy remodeling it. All of the receptacles needed replacing since they are 2 prong. I don't really have a preference, the orientation of the wires puts the ground up, they were all that way and I didn't see a need to roll them over.

After a long day of replacing them, my wife came in and said "you have them upside down! It is supposed to look like a face." I was kinda shocked that she even noticed which way they were oriented. About that time our "painter guy" showed up, he is an industrial maintenance man, not a certified electrician, he is a friend of a friend and needs the extra money since he is going through a divorce. I hired him to paint, mostly to help him out. Don't get me wrong, he works cheap and does a much better job of painting than me. I don't have the patience.

She turned to him and said, " do you think the receptacles are upside down?" He said "yes, they are wrong and it's in the NEC!"

I had a hard time trying to prevent myself from laughing, I might have grinned. I like the guy, but I had to challenge him. I asked him what chapter and article stated that the ground must be down. He said, I don't remember, but if I had my NEC I could show you. I can't remember where things are located by chapter and article either, but I told him I'll be right back and bring you the latest NEC.

He spent about 30 minutes trying to find it, of course he couldn't. He said I know its here, I just can't find it! I just told them to keep looking and get back with me, I'm going home, feed the cats and drink a cold beer........

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I like to see the little faces, and so does one of my cats. The other cat doesn't seem to care. That makes the vote 2 to 0 for the ground down here.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I just would like to add....

You aren't going to like this....

But your wife is not done complaining about this.....

If you mount the receptacles with the ground up, the cool LED night lights (the only ones worth buying) will be upside down. (They have polarized plugs).

That may be the same for other plug in devices, like the stinky things.

Polarized wall warts will be upside down.

Many right angle cords will be upside down.

As far as you are concerned, any tester you plug into a ground up recpetacle will be upside down. From the three light stubbys to a Kill-a-Watt meter.

So....I hope you can come up with some kind of valid reason for defying convention by mounting residential receptacles with the ground on the top, because you will need a pretty good one.

tesi1

2 wire to 3 wire recpt.

2 wire to 3 wire recpt.

if your house had 2 wire recpts, and you changed them to a 3 wire recpt. where did you ground them or was a ground conductor present.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I believe in ground up, IMO there are valid reasons. I always spec ground up, and in my house they are that way and never had an issue.

I've had this argument in my head a few times, but it has more to do with mechanical/structural issues than electrical ones.

With the ground up, and the cord hanging down, the ground pin is in tension and the hot and neutral prongs are in compression.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone that has been around here knows that this subject is taboo.

[h=2]Grounds Up or Down?[/h]

• Should a receptacle be installed with its ground connection point up or down?
The NEC does not address this question. Both configurations are equally acceptable. It is a matter of choice, and the choice can be made by the designer, the installer, or the owner. There may be some aesthetic advantages in being consistent throughout a given project, but even that is not a code requirement. There have been reasonable arguments made in favor of ?ground up.? There have been reasonable arguments made in favor of ?ground down.? However, not one of the arguments is any more compelling than any other.