Load center in fire wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

Chances are that it can't unless there is opening protectives in place which maintain the rating of the wall. I think the IBC says something to the effect of; No more than 100 aggregate square inches of membrane opening within a 100 square foot membrane (at least I think thats close).

Someone else will clear that up I'm sure.

Pete

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is the wall deep enough to five side the panel with sheetrock? IOW's, can the membrane wrap around the panel and provide two or four layers (which ever is applicable) of sheetrock between the spaces

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It's no more than 100 sq inches in 100 sq feet with no opening larger than 16 sq inches.

While the wrap may be approved by the AHJ it is not a listed assembly so you will not find it anywhere. There are lots of walls in an apartment where you could put a panel, whether it's a short hallway or behind the bedroom door.

renosteinke

"While the wrap may be approved by the AHJ it is not a listed assembly "

I'm not so sure about that - but the key here is the word 'assembly.'

A fire wall may get it's rating from having BOTH faces covered, or all the protection might be on just one face. It all depends on the exact 'assembly' used for the design. What is fine in a certain 1-hr. wall may not be fine in another 1-hr. wall. In any event, it's an architectural / engineering call.

Keep in mind that the 'fine print,' as it were, often does not mandate a listed assembly, only that certain details be met.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
"While the wrap may be approved by the AHJ it is not a listed assembly "

I'm not so sure about that - but the key here is the word 'assembly.'

A fire wall may get it's rating from having BOTH faces covered, or all the protection might be on just one face. It all depends on the exact 'assembly' used for the design. What is fine in a certain 1-hr. wall may not be fine in another 1-hr. wall. In any event, it's an architectural / engineering call.

Keep in mind that the 'fine print,' as it were, often does not mandate a listed assembly, only that certain details be met.

A listed assembly may simply be 5/8 drywall, 2x4 wood studs, 5/8 drywall nailed at 6 and 12. 5/8 drywall with another piece of 5/8 drywall glued to it with all of the joints taped and a 2x4 above and below wrapped in drywall, does not appear in any of the manuals I have and I have all of them.

Also don't forget the between units is required to have a sound transference level and I'm pretty sure that they don't make a sound pad large enough to cover a panel.

It's actually a building code call that it's one hour between units in a multi unit dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.