afci required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmreschke

Hey guys quick question. I'm roughing a house and there is a room above the garage only accessible through attic opening in garage. Do the four recepts two lights require afci protection? How bout gfci protection? Thinking no to first and yes to second questions but not sure.

Hendrix

Hey guys quick question. I'm roughing a house and there is a room above the garage only accessible through attic opening in garage. Do the four recepts two lights require afci protection? How bout gfci protection? Thinking no to first and yes to second questions but not sure.
I would say yes to first. No to second.

cmreschke

But I'm not sure that it is similar it is an attic type room. House is a ranch style not really living space more like storage but in the attic.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If there was only a light in there I might not have a big issue though my answer would still be that you needed AFCI. When you start putting receptacles in an area that's only being used for "storage" that's when I start asking questions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
An attic is an attic therefore GFCI protection is not required. I don't see attics mentioned in 210.12 either so I say, no and no. :)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
An attic is an attic therefore GFCI protection is not required. I don't see attics mentioned in 210.12 either so I say, no and no. :)

OP said it is a room accesible through the attic & 210.12 says "similar rooms" so the mentioned room is similar. So I say yes to AFCI

If there are receptacles then there is something else going on besides the original intended storage space.

Don't forget the TR receptacles.

No GFCI

Last edited:

construct

I think you would have to look at the building code in order to decide whether to call it a similar room or area. There are minimum area and ceiling height requirements to be considered a habitable room. Also, if the attic opening is accessed by permanent stairs, the ceiling/floor must be designed and built to carry a 30lb per sq ft load (same as a bedroom floor). May want to get your jurisdiction to determine it's classification.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I could be wrong but I don't think that you find any code, building or otherwise that says a space accessible from a hole in the garage is a habitable room.

cmreschke

Habitable requires two means of egress I believe. Doorway is one window being two in this case there is just pull down stairs.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agreed twice so that 's X 4. No gfci or afci required-- you all think a smoke detector is required too.... NOT-- Permanent stairs would certainly change things

Status
Not open for further replies.