AC PANELBOARD ACCESSIBLE FROM ROOFTOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please give me some feedback.I have a unusual condition a contractor installed an AC poanelboard on the gable end of a 2nd story wall only accessible from a roof with a 7on12 pitch to it.I am having some issue's with this.

Readily accessible comes to mind how about acess to and egress from the work space that does not exist. The EC thinks this is okay he says where in the nec do you need a level work space!

pete m.

I would think that readily accessible is enough. If it isn't then you can't approve the install in the first place. FWIW there was a code change that disallowed panels to be installed above stairs. If I had my book with me I could give you the section.

Pete

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I would think there would be some OSHA violations (just put a wall anchor in for a harness:lol:) and building code issues too. I have seen inspectors require steps and platforms over ducts in an attic to provide accessibility to the HVAC unit without crawling over it.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Definition of "readily accessible" and 240.24... I think

Pete

If the roof were flat it is still not readily accessible unless there is a permanent way to gain access - portable ladders are not acceptable.

Readily accessible comes to mind how about acess to and egress from the work space that does not exist. The EC thinks this is okay he says where in the nec do you need a level work space!

Egress is not a problem - while facing the panel you can go any direction except for forward or down.

There is no mention of work space being required to be level. There maybe should be a limit for amount of slope that is acceptable. Anything outdoors or any wet location normally is not level to allow for drainage.

I would think there would be some OSHA violations (just put a wall anchor in for a harness:lol:) and building code issues too. I have seen inspectors require steps and platforms over ducts in an attic to provide accessibility to the HVAC unit without crawling over it.

The anchor would give a problem with egress if you connect to it:lol:

kwired

Electron manager
Who in their right mind mounts an AC unit on a 7/12 pitch roof anyway? Even if they put it on a level platform, better make the platform large enough and accessible enough for servicing, safety rails, etc..... and to allow 110.26 clearance for electric panels:thumbsup:

All of your information of code context is greatly appreciated thank you all .I have communicated with the EC all of these issue's and to relocate this equipment it is a major saftey problem!
Beam me up to the panel Scotty:lol:

renosteinke

There's no requirement that the panel be any more readily accessible than the equipment it services.

If the panel supplys ONLY the rooftop loads, and it's adjacent to the equipment it serves, I don't have a problem - even if you need a ladder, harness, etc. to access it.

Since there's no mention of a meter, I assume the panel is fed from somewhere else.

kwired

Electron manager
There's no requirement that the panel be any more readily accessible than the equipment it services.

If the panel supplys ONLY the rooftop loads, and it's adjacent to the equipment it serves, I don't have a problem - even if you need a ladder, harness, etc. to access it.

Since there's no mention of a meter, I assume the panel is fed from somewhere else.

First time I have heard it put that way. I kind of like it, solves the issue like we have here, the similar issue with HVAC equipment above suspended ceilings, and other similar situations.

Now where does it state that in the NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.