Taping the neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexie123

I need to hook up my neutral wire from a subpanel to the main neutral. The problem is there is no room at all for this install. Therefore I want to drill and tap a new lug on the main panel.

Is there any requirement I should know about? Or design issue? What size screw would you all use? 1/4 20 with a lock washer that is threated in the neutral bar a good install? Could I use a smaller screw? That kind of stuff.

Thanks guys

resistance

Why don’t you make room. I see no reason why you can't install an additional grounding bar (Installed per code/move only the EGC's), so you can make room for neutral lug (collar type). Done.

resistance

Collor or ground kit.jpg
You can use a UL listed grounding kit (Collar) similar to this, for your neutral conductor going to your non-service rated panel (AKA-Sub). Install it in your pre-installed grounding bar.

360Youth

My first approach would be the collar lug. Any time I drill and tap, I use a #32 thread because of the extra bite within the metal that is being tapped. There is no mention of what you are tapping, enclosure or neutral bar, just remember that a neutral cannot use the the enclosure as a path in the same way the grounds can.

Status
Not open for further replies.