low-voltage lighting design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccayry

The customer is wanting low-voltage accent lighting installed at the base of the posts. My thoughts were to cut a circular hole in the concrete and bury a piece of 4" pvc flush with the poured concrete and install just a common 20w flood. I had thought i might find a light that I could mount on the concrete but I think that would just be in the way and really look tacky. If any of you guys have run into a similar situation and have suggestions, they would be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance.
Photo Feb 02, 1 18 35 PM 2.jpg

svh19044

From a practical standpoint, I would suggest to the customer that they consider a narrow spot downlight fixture with a glare shield highlighting the post, which would also help from the safety aspect lighting up the ground below. There really isn't anything spectacular about the posts to single out with just an uplight anyway.

To answer your actual question, Hadco makes a concrete sleeve for this application. Core drill it out, and you can then use one of their 4" well lights with a narrow spot, and pick one of their lenses from there. Some of them are just glass, flush with concrete, or you can get one of their many glare shields. It's not a fun fish under the concrete though (finding it through a 4" hole).

There really isn't a right or wrong way to do this, just depends (in my experience) on the designers opinion of the matter.

mccayry

Thanks for the response. I finally found a well light that I think will work perfectly. Its made by Volt. It definitely looks like it's well built and also has a lifetime warranty. I know the columns
aren't that impressive but that's what the customer wants. Thanks again

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Lol.

You got me on this one. Uplights would work but seem like one more thing to trip over while I'm drinking at this beach house. :D
If they are placed in front of the posts then they would be hard to trip over even when drinking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.