Hot Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Guns

I hope someone can help me.. I installed a 14KW generator with a 200 amp service rated ATS, when I finished the install and went to bond the unit my helper noticed the the existing ground rods for the 200 amp service was energized with 120 volts to ground. Meaning if you took a tested to the ground rod and to the bond wire or to both ground rods there was 120 volts, I proceeded to check the ATS and I had nothing unusu:?:?al I didn't have 120 volts to ground any where in the ATS, I even eliminated the existing ground wire from 200 amp service in the ATS and I still had 120 volts to ground at ground rods ??? My helper shorted out two control wires by accedent for N1,N2 and T1 which has fuse protection and blew the fuses, at this time I check the ground rods and I didn't have 120 volts, is this a coincedence, today i'm replacing the fuses, and hoping there is no voltage to ground, but i don't have a good feeling about this... What could be the problem ???

ceb58

I hope someone can help me.. I installed a 14KW generator with a 200 amp service rated ATS, when I finished the install and went to bond the unit my helper noticed the the existing ground rods for the 200 amp service was energized with 120 volts to ground. Meaning if you took a tested to the ground rod and to the bond wire or to both ground rods there was 120 volts, I proceeded to check the ATS and I had nothing unusu:?:?al I didn't have 120 volts to ground any where in the ATS, I even eliminated the existing ground wire from 200 amp service in the ATS and I still had 120 volts to ground at ground rods ??? My helper shorted out two control wires by accedent for N1,N2 and T1 which has fuse protection and blew the fuses, at this time I check the ground rods and I didn't have 120 volts, is this a coincedence, today i'm replacing the fuses, and hoping there is no voltage to ground, but i don't have a good feeling about this... What could be the problem ???

Try replacing the T1 fuse and check the rods. The T1 is to provide power for the charger. It picks up its neutral in the generator. There could be something going on in the control panel.

kwired

Electron manager
If all supply connections are made but grounding electrode is not made, look for an open neutral and/or missing system bonding jumper.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Check for utility open neutral, check water bond and ground bond strap in panel.

I saw this before 120 on ground rod and parts, it turned out to be a fault in an appliance and the ground bus was not bonded to the neutral bus in the service panel. Ground rod was about 60 ohms so it was a no trip.

Could be similar

Status
Not open for further replies.