IEEE article

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I would like this thread to remain pretty closely tied to the IEEE paper, and not drift off into a general AFCI discussion. Heaven knows we've had a few of those - and there's plenty of justification for more.

Instead, let's focus on validating claim. But, first, a word about 'copyrights.'

While a person might 'own' something they write, the rest of us are allowed to quote from it, or take exerpts, for the purpose of review and discussion. This priveledge is specifically mentioned in the statute, and is the foundation for what is called the 'fair use' doctrine.

Does anyone have a copy of the pertinent UL standard? Exactly what tests are required? Let's see a few exerpts.

This is pertinent, because (I think) Mr. Engle claims that the UL standard does not have any manner of 'arc test' for the 'detector' to detect. Is that statement correct?

Let's face it ... not many are going to fork over thousands of dollars for UL standards. Indeed, from what I know of UL, products are typically listed under several standards, and finding the one with the actual performance tests can be a challenge. Just try to find, for example, the one that describes the actual fire tests for fire extinguishers, or the actual load tests for ladders. I know both exist, and I know how misleading the titles can be. We've been trusting them.

If the "arc fault detector" does not have to detect arcs for UL, then we have been seriously misled.

Anyone have a copy of the 'arc test' to share with us?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I would like this thread to remain pretty closely tied to the IEEE paper, and not drift off into a general AFCI discussion. Heaven knows we've had a few of those - and there's plenty of justification for more.

Instead, let's focus on validating claim. But, first, a word about 'copyrights.'

While a person might 'own' something they write, the rest of us are allowed to quote from it, or take exerpts, for the purpose of review and discussion. This priveledge is specifically mentioned in the statute, and is the foundation for what is called the 'fair use' doctrine.

If you are suggesting that permisson should be solicitred from Dr E, i am willing to pursue it Reno

Does anyone have a copy of the pertinent UL standard? Exactly what tests are required? Let's see a few exerpts.

This is pertinent, because (I think) Mr. Engle claims that the UL standard does not have any manner of 'arc test' for the 'detector' to detect. Is that statement correct?

Iirc, Dr E stated UL's lack of definition

Let's face it ... not many are going to fork over thousands of dollars for UL standards. Indeed, from what I know of UL, products are typically listed under several standards, and finding the one with the actual performance tests can be a challenge. Just try to find, for example, the one that describes the actual fire tests for fire extinguishers, or the actual load tests for ladders. I know both exist, and I know how misleading the titles can be. We've been trusting them.

If the "arc fault detector" does not have to detect arcs for UL, then we have been seriously misled.

Anyone have a copy of the 'arc test' to share with us?

well you have me there, i was under the impression that UL, and things UL were public information, not some reclusive governmental institution one needed to uttilize the FOIA for..........

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.