Isolated Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified
It's not uncommon to need an isolated ground for a receptacle, but with the all the different wiring methods what is the best way to run them.

I've seen it done many ways, the most common WAS running emt and pulling a green wire. Now, with MC dominating the field that changes. I've seen a 3-wire MC run and tape the red green. I don't like that. I've used Health Care Grade MC, which has a redundant ground, but it's expensive. Another way I've run it is using emt and changing over to flex and running the seperate ground. I'm working for a new company now and just wondering how other people do it. I liked using the redundant ground MC, but is it cost effectice?

Let me know what you think.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I prefer type AC-HCFC cable which has one less conductor to terminate or MC-ap with an insulated EGC for the same reason.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I've used MC-AP, but I didn't know they made it with an EGC. When I tried ordering it from my wholesaler, they didn't carry it. Is it special order or just have to find it?

MarkyMarkNC

It is very uncommon to need an isolated ground for a receptacle.

Agreed. I think a lot of engineers and equipment makers have come to the realization they are of very little use and quit specifying them.

I've used MC-AP, but I didn't know they made it with an EGC. When I tried ordering it from my wholesaler, they didn't carry it. Is it special order or just have to find it?

Try a different wholesaler. It is not uncommon. Nearly every supply house should stock either AC-HCF or hospital grade MCAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.