Scheduling and people cancelling appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

What do you do if a "customer" cancels the day before your scheduled to come out? I always call the day before to confirm so I don't waste time driving for a no show. What I'm getting at is these last minute cancellations often ruin the day and you have no work unless it's an emergency call. Do you charge a cancellation fee? Is that legal? Would be nice to get some money over having a whole day shot with no work. Most people who call are not ready for you to come out the same day they call unless it's an emergency.

I'm thinking about this because I have this woman emailing me like 7 emails all about just 6 recessed lights. She intially contacted me 3 days ago by phone and I gave her an estimate she said "ok i have to talk to my husband". Anyway she emails me and asks when can i come out, how long will it take etc.. I said let me know what day is good for you and i will lock you in my schedule.

I get the feeling she is a tire kicker game player that will cancel last minute.

TimWA

What do you do if a "customer" cancels the day before your scheduled to come out? I always call the day before to confirm so I don't waste time driving for a no show. What I'm getting at is these last minute cancellations often ruin the day and you have no work unless it's an emergency call. Do you charge a cancellation fee? Is that legal? Would be nice to get some money over having a whole day shot with no work. Most people who call are not ready for you to come out the same day they call unless it's an emergency.

I'm thinking about this because I have this woman emailing me like 7 emails all about just 6 recessed lights. She intially contacted me 3 days ago by phone and I gave her an estimate she said "ok i have to talk to my husband". Anyway she emails me and asks when can i come out, how long will it take etc.. I said let me know what day is good for you and i will lock you in my schedule.

I get the feeling she is a tire kicker game player that will cancel last minute.

Welcome to contracting. However, this really shouldn't happen very often. Most times it's more the opposite; homeowners frustrations with electricians and other trades not communicating and/or showing up as agreed. So you'll look good by comparison.

Most times when homeowners agree to have you do something they want it as quick as you can get there, they've accepted your price so it's in their budget. Not likely they'll often change their minds unless something unforseen happens.

Take care of every project like they're part of your family and before long you'l be picking and choosing jobs.

Last edited:

svh19044

I wonder if the tire kickers have anything to do with you only wanting to charge $25/hour. Hmmm....

Damn, beat me to it.

So I was going to say, and still will....

I hate to say this, but based on your previous posts of charging usually no more than $50/hour and willing to accept $25/hour, I think that it is perhaps time to look at your clientele. With the low prices that you charge, you aren't drawing from a solid customer base in the area. This is fine, but you have to accept cancellations/cold feet as part of the territory. Based on your description, if you are worried about a tire kicker, it's probably best to write the job off anyway. You shouldn't have that lingering fear.

As a percentage, in my experience cancellations are a rarity. And if there is a cancellation, it is usually not an issue, as it is a small job and there is work to fill in for a day or two. For 6 recessed lights, a van or shop would be cleaned up a bit. If it is NOT a small job, a 1/3 deposit is required before the job starts, during the contract signing.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
The ones that try and beat you down on price are usually the ones who have no respect for your time and are also the biggest nit pickers

chris1971

It doesn't happen to often. When it does I'll try to schedule a different job if possible. Part of being a contractor

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In My state you cannot charge for an appointment. No work no charge.
However if you can get a contract signed prior to the job (3 days) you can charge no more than 10% or 1k the lower of the two. If they cancel after 3 days and you want to keep money you would need to have a pretty good detail for keeping any money. Oh and by the way no money can be taken up front for special orders. I really don't see it as a big problem in my line of work.

However if I were a company that has to buy specialty type products that would not be returnable I wonder what you do. The Contractors law says you cannot bill for work or products not deliverd. If the customer cancels and refuses delivery what is the recourse?

Status
Not open for further replies.