Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
One like this?

99544.jpg

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
This is a new saw. I agree that a 10 hp would have been fine. A 20HP at 480V would also be fine, but they have 120/240 V three phase. AN yes the pin an sleve cost about 350 for rec an 350 for the sleeve plus the box. I am definetly installing a disconnect ahead of the rec for safety issues.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Yes it is like the one u sent, but its on a rolling frame so saw is down close to ground . They are going to be cutting 2" up to 3 1/2" wire rope.

kwired

Electron manager
If 100 amp breaker will not handle starting current you could use a soft starter - of course that is more money to spend.

I use Square D QO 90 amp breakers on 20 HP motors all the time. If it is a high inertia load that could make starting period last too long otherwise it usually works.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Their mistake, I guess they just have to bite the bullet and pay for upgraded equipment. Who told them that they needed a 20 HP saw?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Yes it is like the one u sent, but its on a rolling frame so saw is down close to ground . They are going to be cutting 2" up to 3 1/2" wire rope.

Wire rope cuts easier than cutting the same diameter mild steel round in an abrasive saw

Somebody didn't know that when they sized the saw. If I was cutting 2" - 3 1/2" round bar all day I'd probably want the 20 HP saw

Last edited:

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure. I will ask that Question in the morning when I give them a price to hook this up. Maybe they can send this back and get a 10HP

Status
Not open for further replies.