how wonderful....

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

It looks like a little primer is needed as to trademark law.

We follow practices based upon the traditions of the British Trademark Office. That's the root, and things are set up in a rather sensible way.

A name need not be identical to infringe upon a trademark. There are many factors that come into consideration, including the 'commonality' of the name, how well known it is, the market served, and how unique it is. Let me give a few examples:

"Acme Electric" is so general that a competitor would probably be allowed to use "Acme Electrical."

Joe Smith would probably not be able to block Joe E. Smith from setting up shop, but Digney Fibowitz could probably block Dagny Fibowitch from using his similar name in the same business.

Neither Bud Weiser nor Joe Gallo can get away with opening liquor brands under their names, but they're perfectly free to open Bud Weiser Plumbing or Gallo Electric. You laugh, but there was an attempt at another 'Gallo" wine, and Budweiser unsuccessfully claimed infringement by Bushmaster machetes. My firm uses a name that someone across the country started using first - but that's no issue, because the other guy is simply 'squatting' on the name, and cannot make the case for my actually infringing on his business. Another had registered the name with my county, but was also just 'squatting' and not in the business; he gained no priveledge there.

A name with great recognition gets greater protection. That's why you don't see Popsi Cola or Clean-Ex tissues.

Examples of unique names are Xerox, Exxon, and Kodak. You're not likely to be able to use anything even remotely similar for any business.

"Ownership" of the name can be a issue. McDonald's found this out when they tried to assert that THE McDonald, the actual Scottish laird, was 'infringing' on the name. Oops. Likewise, Burger King ran into trouble when they expanded to Florida and found another chain had a "Whaler" sandwich. Godfather Pizza, however, prevailed against a copy-cat when they expanded to Chicago.

Fulthrottle, you really need to chat with a lawyer familiar with this area of law to see if you have any recourse. The other name need not be identical.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It looks like a little primer is needed as to trademark law.
Fulthrottle, you really need to chat with a lawyer familiar with this
area of law to see if you have any recourse. The other name need not be identical.

i'll take a peek into this.... thanks for the information.....

one thing, my C-10 is in my business name, so that puts a timestamp on it
when the license was issued.

as for copyrights, and the bigger boat having the right of way, there is a
neighborhood bar in phoenix, at 16th and bethany home, that has the name
TexaZ grill, that had a name predating the national chain Texas Roadhouse,
it was Texas Grill, and the national chain got a restraining order against this
little neighborhood place, that had the name 10 years before the big chain did.

so all of what you're saying i've heard before, from a very angry barkeeper,
who by the way serves one of the best chicken fried steaks you will find anywhere....

that is just a little tip for the phoencians on the board...

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
When you report why do you need to give your personal info. If they ask for it, give wrong info.

It is people like him that damage our industry and take food away from our tables.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Had a friend who opened a fish store in the valley. About three months after he opened he got a call from a lawyer for a fish store in Santa Monica, while the names were not identical they were close and he was told by his lawyer that he would have to change his.

But, I don't disagree with what Reno said. How many "AAA Electricals" do you think are out there?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
When you report why do you need to give your personal info. If they ask for it, give wrong info.

It is people like him that damage our industry and take food away from our tables.

on the cslb website when you open a complaint, you have to provide contact information.

and i don't lie.

not that i'm seizing the moral high ground or anything, but my memory is such that
i'm lucky i can remember the truth... let alone multiple versions of the truth.

i made up a text file with all of his particulars, in case i ever need it... and i doubt i will...

Status
Not open for further replies.