Mounting new mcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

denis01

Is there any code reference in NEC
about concrete floor levels in electric rooms where MCC will be mounted?
I hear raise floor 2". Others say 4" concrete slab.
somebody know about it?

masterinbama

I believe he's referring to housekeeping pads . There is no code that says you have to have one. But if you do be sure to maintain workspace intrusions within guidelines and breaker height within maximums.

ngd4130

Is there any code reference in NEC
about concrete floor levels in electric rooms where MCC will be mounted?
I hear raise floor 2". Others say 4" concrete slab.
somebody know about it?

The requirements come into play for electrical vaults over 600 volts. See 110.31(A)(2) - not less than 4 inch thick, but if other stories below it needs to have structural strength and a minimum 3 hr. fire rating. Also, see the informational note under 110.31(A)(5) - Transformers.

buddhakii

I believe he's referring to housekeeping pads . There is no code that says you have to have one. But if you do be sure to maintain workspace intrusions within guidelines and breaker height within maximums.

As far as workspace intrusions is concerned, do you make sure your equipment is exactly flush with the front of the housekeeping pad? The code probably dictates that it must be flush but we normally have a couple of inches sticking out of the front otherwise the anchor bolts don't catch very much meat. Technically a violation? Probably. Still safe?:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
As far as workspace intrusions is concerned, do you make sure your equipment is exactly flush with the front of the housekeeping pad? The code probably dictates that it must be flush but we normally have a couple of inches sticking out of the front otherwise the anchor bolts don't catch very much meat. Technically a violation? Probably. Still safe?:happyyes:

I say that 110.26(A)(3) allows it to be no more than 6 inches past front of cabinet or else you must be at least 36 or up to 48 whichever applies.

(3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to the height required by 110.26(E). Within the height requirements of this section, other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation and is located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the front of the electrical equipment.

The housekeeping pad is associated equipment - IMO. If the MCC was not there the housekeeping pad most likely wouldn't be there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.