120 VOLT PESKY SMOKE DETECTOR ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

I'm hoping somebody can offer some suggestions over a recent problem we ran into with a smoke detector.

I think the brand was OSI.
The detector was sparadically going in and out of alarm mode.
We replaced it and everything appeared to be ok.
Soon thereafter, the smoke detector began chirping.
We replaced the battery.
It continued.
We replaced the smoke detector again.
During the above process, we checked all of the joints/connections.

The next day the chirping came back.

We replaced all of the smoke detectors in the house with Firex.
The same smoke detector continues to have intermittenet problems.

I need some advice/direction.
Has anybody had this problem before?

kwired

Electron manager
I agree - you could have an air leak pulling a little dust in around the outlet box - enough making it to sensing chamber to sound alarm. Otherwise there could be fine particles of some type in the air triggering it - or excess humidity or something. Make sure it is not too close to bathroom or kitchen, water vapor from showers or cooking does set them off. Place plastic bag over it to see if that stops it, if so that means something is getting into it to trigger it.

nhfire77

Check for a smoke you haven't seen. I've found hidden smokes no one knew about and it was problematic.

Hidden above drop ceilings in basements etc.

kwired

Electron manager
Check for a smoke you haven't seen. I've found hidden smokes no one knew about and it was problematic.

Hidden above drop ceilings in basements etc.

I guess I may have mentioned something like that but when OP said "The same smoke detector continues to have intermittenet problems." I took that to mean he knows which one is triggering the alarms.

nhfire77

I guess I may have mentioned something like that but when OP said "The same smoke detector continues to have intermittenet problems." I took that to mean he knows which one is triggering the alarms.

Agreed, sometimes the unknown smoke in question is closer to the offending device than
Others causing it to chirp because it's incompatible.

Thanks for the help.

We are sure the smoke detector in question is the one causing the problems. (It is not a hidden detector; we have run into that before though!)
We have disconnected the interconnect wire and the problem has continued.
The brands/models are compatible (and all brand new; we replaced them all and the problem continued).

[air leak] This makes the most sense. We were leaning towards it being "something environmental" and checking the attic area around the box sounds like a good next step.

Other ideas are appreciated! This one is tricky!

Bam

I've had the 3 wire quick connect with a loose pin inside, so every time I replaced the detector the same problem would happen

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This doesn't necessarrily have anything to do with the OP, but I have a question about testing smoke alarms. After the circuit is powered up, will pushing the test button make all the alarms go off, or just the one you pushed the test button on?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If the alarms are interconnected they will all go off with a push of the test button

Gac66610

All, as long as they are interconnected

Really upsets trim carpenters when we test them ... so we test them twice

Last edited:

ritelec

Just wondering.........On an interconnected system, I heard it's the neutral thats being switched, any one hear of this........no biggy just wondering.

Rick....check connections (splices), switch known working smoke with the "problematic" one. Check for reasons why it would chirp.....maybe something is crossing its path, can to temp hang it
say 12" from it's installed location................ Where's it located.???? can you make rid of it.........???? is it in a location that the manufacture suggests it not be placed because of nuisance tripping?
Maybe install a heat instead of smoke?

Good Luck Laddie .

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Chirping usually means bad battery but look at the smoke detector packet and see which lights are going on and what sound is being made. A loose connection may be the culprit but it can also be a battery even in a new unit

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting that it is in the same location which makes me think otherwise but best practice is to read the instruction for info on sounds and light

TobyD

How are the smokes wired ?Do you have multiple circuits with a floating interconnect?Is this a residential application,I assume it is?Several years ago I had the same type issue.My problem was simply defective smokes.But, another issue I have seen is some contractors in our area power up from mutliple circuits and run a jumper out of thermostat wire for the interconnect.I have seen that buck the Arc Faults and normally only when you test the smokes,I always use a 3 cond. circuit to all the smokes and supply from one circuit.There is a hush button with instuctions on how it works.

kwired

Electron manager
How are the smokes wired ?Do you have multiple circuits with a floating interconnect?Is this a residential application,I assume it is?Several years ago I had the same type issue.My problem was simply defective smokes.But, another issue I have seen is some contractors in our area power up from mutliple circuits and run a jumper out of thermostat wire for the interconnect.I have seen that buck the Arc Faults and normally only when you test the smokes,I always use a 3 cond. circuit to all the smokes and supply from one circuit.There is a hush button with instuctions on how it works.

So they are putting in AFCI's (probably because they won't pass inspection otherwise) then they use a thermostat wire between detectors to pick up an additional needed conductor? Where is the inspector? Did they save any money on install when they could have just run a single 14-3 between units to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.