Disconnects in one area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Hope this makes sense...
in the
I understand according to 230.71 that you are not permitted to have more than 6 handles or disconnecting means, from what I am getting this is done so that there is only six handles to deal with, this is what I have read anyhow. So, that being said if I had a multifamily dwelling with say 8 units, could I do the following?

Using a main service disconnecting means just say 400A for instance and then feed a group of 8 disconnects located just off the service equipment so that they are all in the same location?

So turn off the service disconnect it kills power to the whole building, or turn off one at a time to work on the feeders or panels that are in the building individually.

Thanks and again I hope that makes sense.

ceb58

Hope this makes sense...
in the
I understand according to 230.71 that you are not permitted to have more than 6 handles or disconnecting means, from what I am getting this is done so that there is only six handles to deal with, this is what I have read anyhow. So, that being said if I had a multifamily dwelling with say 8 units, could I do the following?

Using a main service disconnecting means just say 400A for instance and then feed a group of 8 disconnects located just off the service equipment so that they are all in the same location?

So turn off the service disconnect it kills power to the whole building, or turn off one at a time to work on the feeders or panels that are in the building individually.

Thanks and again I hope that makes sense.

Correct the 400amp disconnect would be the service disconnect.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You can do that.
Also, I believe with a mlti-occupany building, if you can route your serice entrances outside the building you can feed from one service point to each occupancy.

wireguy8169

Thanks

So it seems that as long as the service has a disconnect that would kill the power to all the "subfeeders" you could in affect put as many disconnects (allowed by the space and equipment your using of course) as you want or need. I think the biggest misunderstanding for this is what a service is.

Thanks

Again

chicar

Article 100. Service is the conductors and equipment for delivering electric energy from the serving utility to the wiring of the premises served.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Thanks

So it seems that as long as the service has a disconnect that would kill the power to all the "subfeeders" you could in affect put as many disconnects (allowed by the space and equipment your using of course) as you want or need. I think the biggest misunderstanding for this is what a service is.

Thanks

Again
Just like you do with a 'main breaker' panelboard.

kwired

Electron manager
I think the biggest misunderstanding for this is what a service is.

Exactly. Once you hit that 400 amp disconnect in your example the rest is no longer service equipment.

Don't forget there is a similar rule in 225 for buildings supplied from another by a feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.