Aluminum wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That's correct fill is an issue. You install #12 copper with decora switches and I will tell you it is an tight even if the fill is correct. I used to wire with 12 awg exclusively in a house and when we had to start grounding the switches and use decora devices and dimmers I decided 14 awg was better. :D
With EMT and 4" square boxes and plaster rings that is not as big an issue.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
'shall be of copper unless otherwise provided in the Code.' Is pretty self explanatory.

230 specifically allows aluminum for overhead service-drop and underground conductors.
That is what the words say, but I have never seen that section read that way.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
'shall be of copper unless otherwise provided in the Code.' Is pretty self explanatory.

230 specifically allows aluminum for overhead service-drop and underground conductors.

I wonder why 240.4 (D) (4) is in there then?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder why 240.4 (D) (4) is in there then?

Al is allowed for outdoor branch circuits.

There's nothing in Art. 210 or 225 that says Aluminum is permitted for "outdoor branch circuits."

225.6 does reference Aluminum for "Open individual conductors" in "overhead spans." But the minimum size is #8 Al, so 240.4(D)(4) and (D)(6) can't be referring to 225.6.

230 doesn't specifically allow aluminum for service entrance conductors, only overhead service drops and underground service laterals.

106? That must be in the 2011, we are on the 2008 and mine doesn't go that high.

310.106(B) was 310.2(B) (and 310.14) in 2008.

310.2(B) "Conductors in this article shall be of aluminum, copper-clad aluminum, or copper unless otherwise specified." That seems to be the "as otherwise provided" from section 110.5.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
There's nothing in Art. 210 or 225 that says Aluminum is permitted for "outdoor branch circuits."

225.6 does reference Aluminum for "Open individual conductors" in "overhead spans." But the minimum size is #8 Al, so 240.4(D)(4) and (D)(6) can't be referring to 225.6.

230 doesn't specifically allow aluminum for service entrance conductors, only overhead service drops and underground service laterals.

310.106(B) was 310.2(B) (and 310.14) in 2008.

310.2(B) "Conductors in this article shall be of aluminum, copper-clad aluminum, or copper unless otherwise specified." That seems to be the "as otherwise provided" from section 110.5.

I concede, and am with you up until 'as otherwise provided'. 310 concerns the construction of the conductors in the entire book. It does not circumvent 110.5, just outlines the requirements for conductors used in the entire book, exceptions and all. 310, in itself, is not an exception.

Furthermore, 110.5 goes on to say that, 'where the conductor material is not specified, the material and sizes given in the Code shall apply to copper conductors. So, where in 220 does it specify conductor material?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I concede, and am with you up until 'as otherwise provided'. 310 concerns the construction of the conductors in the entire book. It does not circumvent 110.5, just outlines the requirements for conductors used in the entire book, exceptions and all. 310, in itself, is not an exception.

Furthermore, 110.5 goes on to say that, 'where the conductor material is not specified, the material and sizes given in the Code shall apply to copper conductors. So, where in 220 does it specify conductor material?

I see how 110.5 can be taken the way you stated. I have never read specifically that aluminum could be used as a feeder, but we all know it is used all the time.
In 334.10 it tells me that I can use NM cable in a residence. 334.104 lists aluminum NM cable, but yet in 210 will it tell you that aluminum cannot be used?

It has been my understanding that the NEC has never banned aluminum branch circuits, but amendments have.

Here is an addition to the Texas code:
"(c) The National Electrical Code shall be amended as follows.

(1) Add to Article 310.1 the following statement: "Aluminum and copper-clad aluminum shall not be used for branch circuits in buildings classified as a residential occupancy; aluminum and copper-clad aluminum conductors, of size number 4 AWG or larger, may be used in branch circuits in buildings classified as occupancies other than residential."

(2) Add to Article 110.14 the following statement: "Aluminum and copper-clad aluminum conductors shall be terminated using approved compression-type crimp lugs with approved inhibitors.""

(title 16, Part 4, chapter 70, rule 70-101)

An interesting article:http://www.iaei.org/magazine/2006/01/aluminum-building-wire-installation-and-terminations/

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

It doesn't outline the requirements for all conductors used in the entire book. It outlines the requirements for conductors for "general wiring". 310.1 says that its requirements don't apply to conductors SPECIFICALLY provided for elsewhere in the code.

There is no SPECIFIC conductor in the code for branch circuits, so the conductors for general wiring would apply.

Take for instance, the conductors in a flexible cord or in a fixture wire. These are specific conductors, not conductors for general wiring. Article 310 wouldn't apply to these (Arts. 400 & 402) would. 110.5 would require that these conductors be copper, unless there were other provisions in the code. I don't see anything that provides for aluminum for the conductors in flexible cords.

hurk27

It doesn't that is the reason for the last part of 110.5 and the FPN
The same thing with 210, table 210.24 gives us sizes for copper but no where is copper specified, and even note 1 to the table indicates if a conductor of another material is used we need to adjust the size.

110.5 Conductors. Conductors normally used to carry current
shall be of copper unless otherwise provided in this
Code. Where the conductor material is not specified, the
material and the sizes given in this Code shall apply to
copper conductors. Where other materials are used, the size
shall be changed accordingly.
FPN: For aluminum and copper-clad aluminum conductors,
see 310.15.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I disagree. Since no conductor material is specified, 110.5 says it has to be copper. If 310 precluded that, there would be no need for 110.5.

So for a 50 amp branch circuit, you install copper?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It doesn't that is the reason for the last part of 110.5 and the FPN
The same thing with 210, table 210.24 gives us sizes for copper but no where is copper specified, and even note 1 to the table indicates if a conductor of another material is used we need to adjust the size.

The FPN addresses the sizing, and only the sizing for Al where it is allowed. It does not say, no matter how you read it, that it is allowed in every instance.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Indoors, yes. In fact, I have never pulled Al for an indoor branch circuit of any size.

Not criticizing, just curious with that last question. Anything bigger than 10 (usually), I use Al. Occasionally I will use 8 cu if the price is right...

Status
Not open for further replies.