lightning protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an armory, (metal outbuilding to store weapons) at an army base. To supply the electical, I used a breaker in the main panel. This building's service is considered a sub panel and to seperate the ground and neutral at the panel and to use the main service grounding. This building also has a lightning protection system on the roof. My question is where to bond the LPS. Also, there are two grounding plates on each corner. Is it required to groung the LPS at the building or tie into the main building grounding system.
Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Connect LPS as well as GEC and metal structure to the equipment grounding conductor.

It is a subpanel but at same time it is not. It is one building supplied by a feeder from another and art 225 part II is what covers it.

Prior to 2008 NEC this did not require a separte neutral and EGC - if there were no other conductive paths between the two builldings.

dereckbc

Staff member
Is it required to ground the LPS at the building or tie into the main building grounding system.
Bond the two together, outside of the building, underground exothermically with a bonding jumper, at one point only, near where the GEC for the service enters the earth/building..

Last edited:

hurk27

I have an armory, (metal outbuilding to store weapons) at an army base. To supply the electical, I used a breaker in the main panel. This building's service is considered a sub panel and to seperate the ground and neutral at the panel and to use the main service grounding. This building also has a lightning protection system on the roof. My question is where to bond the LPS. Also, there are two grounding plates on each corner. Is it required to groung the LPS at the building or tie into the main building grounding system.
Thanks

This is something you are going to need what is required by the Army spec's called TM's & FM's

These are the installation specs that are required to be followed when doing installs for the military, not following them can cost you.

most can be down loaded HERE

And TM 5- 690,691, and 692 cover most installs but I use to have the PDF for requirements on ordnance storage sites, but I cant find it.

I'll keep looking for it and see if I can find another site to get it from.

Last edited:

hurk27

Here is additional file that will explain some things, scroll down to Chapter 17, diagrams on page 215 sound like some of what you have with the plates at each corner.

This is not the documents I was trying to find but has much of what was in the other.

it might also be a good idea to ask those who are in charge of what spec's you need to follow.

Allot will depend upon what types of weapons are stored in the building, there are EMP shielding requirements also any time you run electrical to these buildings that must be followed to prevent RF, EMP or LEMP ignition of ordinance.

kwired

Electron manager
This is something you are going to need what is required by the Army spec's called TM's & FM's

These are the installation specs that are required to be followed when doing installs for the military, not following them can cost you.

most can be down loaded HERE

And TM 5- 690,691, and 692 cover most installs but I use to have the PDF for requirements on ordnance storage sites, but I cant find it.

I'll keep looking for it and see if I can find another site to get it from.

Would that be Technical Manual and Field Manual?

I do remember having Field Manuals and pretty sure they were refered to as FM's. But I was an infantry soldier and not any kind of technician.

hurk27

Would that be Technical Manual and Field Manual?

I do remember having Field Manuals and pretty sure they were refered to as FM's. But I was an infantry soldier and not any kind of technician.

While I was not in the military I was handed one when I went to bid a job at an Army base not far from me, I was told to bid to these spec's and that they would be enforced to the letter, this is why I brought it up to give the OP a heads up as to what might be required, as they say we not in the NEC any more "Were in the army now":lol:

The best advice I can give the OP is Do your home work when you dealing with the government whether it be the national parks or DOD it pays to make sure you CYA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.