Code reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Man

I'm running a 3/4" pvc underground and the owner wants to throw a 1" pvc water line in the same trench. They will be spaced 1' apart. It's easy digging so the electrical run will be 24" so I can back fill 12" before the water pipe then another 12" up to grade. The AHJ wants me to show him in the code book where it says I "can" install it this way. I didnt see anything that says I can or can't do it like this. Am I just overlooking it? Thanks and hope it's not too obvious,lol...

raider1

Staff member
There is nothing in the NEC that prohibits sharing a trench with other lines.

As far the the AHJ asking you to show them where in the code it says you "CAN" do something, that is not how the code works. The code works by stating I can do something unless the code prohibits it.

Chris

jumper

As far the the AHJ asking you to show them where in the code it says you "CAN" do something, that is not how the code works. The code works by stating I can do something unless the code prohibits it.

Chris

Yeah, I agree, but local amendments and utility requirements could differ.

Strife

I concur. The NEC is a prohibitive code.
Meaning that if MAXIMUM OCPD for a #12 wire can not exceed 20A you can not have an OCPD LARGER than 20A. You can put a 5A, or 10A, heck even one miliamp (I know they don't make, just making a point). Where does the code allow to use a 15A breaker on a #10 wire? It prohibits the largest OCPD being 30A.
Or for instance it prohibits having more than 4-#3/0 in a 2" EMT Conduit, it doesn't say you can put 4 #12 in a 2" EMT, so I guess you can not put 4-#12 in a 2" conduit, not even a 3/4", because NEC doesn't allow it specifically?

Chris

jumper

I concur. The NEC is a prohibitive code.
Meaning that if MAXIMUM OCPD for a #12 wire can not exceed 20A you can not have an OCPD LARGER than 20A. You can put a 5A, or 10A, heck even one miliamp (I know they don't make, just making a point). Where does the code allow to use a 15A breaker on a #10 wire? It prohibits the largest OCPD being 30A.
Or for instance it prohibits having more than 4-#3/0 in a 2" EMT Conduit, it doesn't say you can put 4 #12 in a 2" EMT, so I guess you can not put 4-#12 in a 2" conduit, not even a 3/4", because NEC doesn't allow it specifically?

Actually I believe that the NEC is a permissive code by Raider's definition.

It shows the the largest wires permitted in the tables, therefore, anything less is permitted also.

kwired

Electron manager
Bury the raceway right next to the water pipe if you want to. I actually prefer that. If someone is digging up the water line they don't rip up the electric line with a backhoe unless they also rip up the water line that they are looking for.

E Man

Thats the exact way I did it. Then when I called for inspection he told me he had seen the depth of the trench and to go ahead and back fill... go figure.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm running a 3/4" pvc underground and the owner wants to throw a 1" pvc water line in the same trench. They will be spaced 1' apart. It's easy digging so the electrical run will be 24" so I can back fill 12" before the water pipe then another 12" up to grade. The AHJ wants me to show him in the code book where it says I "can" install it this way. I didnt see anything that says I can or can't do it like this. Am I just overlooking it? Thanks and hope it's not too obvious,lol...

Thats the exact way I did it. Then when I called for inspection he told me he had seen the depth of the trench and to go ahead and back fill... go figure.

Why does he tell you to go ahead and back fill if he has a problem with something. In my book if he tells you to go ahead and fill then he has no problem with anything, otherwise he either needs to witness corrections while he is still there or give you written correction notice that mentions violated rules as to why corrections are needed, and then schedule a time for reinspection.

Asking you to find code that allows it and then just leaving without notification of pass or fail is just wrong, telling you to cover it up is telling you it passes in most peoples minds. This guy needs to be more professional and quit playing childish games with you.

E Man

This is in a very small town outside Dallas. He does all the inspections on all trades and knows just enough about each trade to be dangerous. I did a large job in this same town 2 years ago and he never looked at the service! He just walked up and down the halls talking to me and after going on all floors doing this he signed off and said good job! Ok by me...

kwired

Electron manager
This is in a very small town outside Dallas. He does all the inspections on all trades and knows just enough about each trade to be dangerous. I did a large job in this same town 2 years ago and he never looked at the service! He just walked up and down the halls talking to me and after going on all floors doing this he signed off and said good job! Ok by me...

That is a bad situation waiting to blow up sometime. Contractors figure out what corners they can cut and get away with, and make their bids less, owners end up with substandard installations and maybe even hazardous installations.

Things may be just about as successful with no inspector at all. Then the guy gets a little excited over whether or not something that is code compliant is an acceptable practice but wants you to find it in the code. He probably doesn't even know where to look to find out for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.